Howling Windy Garage Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a garage conversion completed on my house and I am having trouble with a terrible windy howling noise which I cannot diagnose and was hoping for some suggestions.

Basically it is a standard conversion which was already on the house when I moved in consisting of an airbrick wall, plasterboard wall and roof with a small window and door. I had the builder raise the floor using timbers and foam insulation, cut in a large window at the front and to put bi-fold doors CW lintel at the rear. This was then all plaster boarded up and skimmed.

However, when the wind blows I get a terrible howling sound which is VERY hard to locate , I think it is coming from above the room (in the eaves of the garage) but when I am up there I can hear it but again can’t locate it and believe it is below.

The bifolds look exceptionally well-sealed and the noise exists even when they are open. I have had the front window resealed again but the noise remains, I was sure that when I opened the front windows the noise would stop and think it still probably does but the same night after re-sealing it was the same, so this time I applied sellotape to all the front window seals and it made no difference at all.

What I have done so far:
I flashed the lintel which goes over the garage door and front window to cover the air holes just incase
Covered all vents leading to the roof directly above the conversion
Filled any wooden gaps in roof joinery above the window and bifolds

There is something else on this garage that is different to most , the main water cock and electrical box reside there so a stud wall was assembled to effectively cupboard them in and access panels are used for access , this is filled with yellow insulation. I didn’t see this constructed but it runs along the garage length about ½ the room and is about a foot in depth, its fully boarded and skimmed etc. Electrical cable from the consumer unit runs into the loft above and I suspect a gap maybe between the wall and the roof. When in the loft no air really blows so I am doubtful this is the case, before I rip my wall down just to look can anyone offer any suggestions ?

I don’t know what to do can you help.

Lee Gowland

Sponsored Links
Photo's would help but wind noise is generally created by air passing a hole or slot of some description which turns part of the building into a large flute.
At roof level vents facing the prevailing winds or similar can cause very loud noise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back