HP Printer IP Address Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again...

I am trying to set my printer's IP address so it is static.

I have printed off the Network Config Page and entered the existing IP address in my browser and made all the suggested changes under the IPv4 tab.

I have set the last three digits of the new IP address to 250. All the other details are entered as per the NCP. The secondary DNS server I have left blank.

But whatever I do, the system reports an error when I click apply.

Can anybody help please? I am lost!!

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
You haven't already got a machine/device using 250 as the last octet of the IP address, have you? Also, some routers get a bit upset if devices are assigned static IP addresses within the DHCP range, unless those addresses are reserved.

Hi Astra

Thanks for helping out.

No, all 17 of my devices are assigned a two digits for the last part.

I'm not sure about upsetting the router, all I know is that I have set all my other devices to a fixed IP and they are working happily.

Maybe try one of the ip scanning programs to see which addresses are being used such as ping lite which I have on my iPad.
What model printer?
Subnet mask on a home network is usually 255.255.255.0, ip 192.168.*.250 (where star is usually 0 or 1 depending on your dhcp settings and 250 being used for the setting.)
Also maybe try another IP address such as ending in 200

Sponsored Links
Hi SecureSpark
Neither I, nor anyone else thought to ask, "What is the existing IP address?" This may help diagnose the problem. Even better, if you can do a screen dump of the status page that would be the icing on the cake.
Regards, Astra99

I have just printed off a report now and the machine is not showing an IP address any more.....

So I have tried to connect up to a new router I have just got from PlusNet (Sagem....hiss.........) and it flat refuses.

So I shall rig up a Cat 6 connection between the printer and router and see what transpires.

I shall let you know.

Thank you very much guys!

Update:

Router is a total pig.

No matter what I do, it will not connect wirelessly to the printer.

So, I found a way to change the IP address via the printer itself, so it is static.

Connected the printer via Cat 6 to the router and am printing through the router using the IP addy.

Bit of a pain for those who are wireless but at least it is up and running for now.

Back