Hum on Active Speakers (not ground loop?!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm baffled by a problem I'm having with some audio equipment. I have two active speakers (with built in amplifiers) each takes a two-pin mains connection and an unbalanced RCA input. I have these connected to a laptop, through a 3.5mm jack to RCA breakout tail. There is no earthing terminal on either the laptop or the speakers.

When the laptop is switched on, everything is fine and when nothing is playing, the whole system is silent, however as soon as the laptop switches off (or goes into Sleep mode) there is instantly a VERY LOUD 50hz humm from the speakers. I have tried different devices, and the same occurs, if the unit is powered, no hum from the speakers, if the unit is unpowered, very loud hum from the speakers.

I'm used to dealing with ground loop issues, and normally this sort of thing would be corrected by ensuring all the equipment was on the same earthing point, but none of the kit has earth terminals and all the equipment is plugged into the same multi-socket in any case.

If I disconnect the audio cable from the laptop end - the buzzing remains but is quieter, if I disconnect the audio cable from the speaker end, the hum stops. So from this I am guessing a current is getting induced in the audio cable from the power cable? But if so - why does the humming stop when the source equipment is powered on?

How could I fix this permanently? Another forum suggested buying RCA cables with an earth wire... but there is no-where to attach this on either the speaker or the laptop.

Help!

Sponsored Links
With the laptop switched off the impedance at the laptop end of the cable is possibly higher than when the laptop is on and actively driving the cable (albeit with muted audio). The high impedance would mean the cable (plus the attached laptop) is more prone to pick up 50Hz interference. You could try a shunt resistance (say ~10k?) on the cable input end.

Ok so it's not a ground loop, but have you actually tried a ground loop isolator?
£10 on Amazon and has sorted many an issue for me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back