Humming (Big Time!!) from Boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I moved into my present detached house a few months ago ,since then I have noticed a humming noise (which has recently got worse ) it is centered in the upstairs bedroom where the airing cupboard is containing the pipework and an immersion boiler and what appears to be a new Grundfos pump. There is a Netterton Electronic boiler downstairs in the toilet area.The noise usually starts at about 11.00pm ish and goes on throughout the night till about 6.00am even though the boiler has been switched off completely in the early evening.It is a pulsing hum and carries on even after I have switched off all of the power to the house via the fuseboard thus eliminating electrical appliances etc.I have put Fernox into the sytem and bled all the rads of air but the problem is still there!.

Could someone PLEASE help a very tired site member ? Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
If you have no luck there then might be an idea to get an engineer out to investigate !!

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you have the same problem as westy04. He has the same species of little people living in your wall cavities, it sounds like the ones you have are nocturnal though, these are the dodgy type! Got to watch em or they'l be singing hymns next. You need to either gas em or supply them with some lyrics, that'l stop the humming.

It sounds like you have the same problem as westy04. He has the same species of little people living in your wall cavities, it sounds like the ones you have are nocturnal though, these are the dodgy type! Got to watch em or they'l be singing hymns next. You need to either gas em or supply them with some lyrics, that'l stop the humming.

Thanks treeFungus 2nd ,I will ....!gas em!!

GasMan1965,
I took your advice and checked the ballcock in the loft.
It was faulty and of a type no longer used, it was causing the tank to fill up well beyond its capacity and causing the buzzing noise.I have now fitted a new type ballcock and everthing is fine.

First decent nights sleep in ages...Cheers Mate. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back