Hxi h/exch flushing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have the banging crashing noise (assume air / black ****). I can isolate boiler F&R with a bit of jiggery-pokery to mains flush or power-flush boiler in situ or is it just wishful thinking and doomed.

Pump seems ok, cleaned impeller and is grundfos 180. bunged up auto air vents to eliminate air being sucked in.

So the question is. Has anyone successfully flushed a G-worm Hxi main heat exchanger?

Sponsored Links
I presume this is a three or four loop main HE ?

In that case most will tell you that as you cannot force chemicals through a blocked loop that its not guaranteed to be successful.

But be aware most who will tell you work or have worked for the makers where their MO is to replace rather than attempt to clean.

I would certainly have a go but then I am quite experienced at cleaning HEs and have a good experience of which chemicals to use in each case. Depending on the type of dirt, and local water hardness, I would probably start with sulphonic acid.

Tony

Its the 38 Hxi so assume 4 coils and a new h/exh is 444.00 inc vat. Though now got it down to 408.33 inc vat.

A glow-worm agent would recommend changing heat exchanger more of a guarantee than flushing for them but that's not our luxury as independents, custo looking for most economical option (please note I no longer use the term cheap to punters).

I personally would not use sulphuric acid on any boiler, hydrochloric more affective for both lime scale and magnetite. Though most boilers will have little or miniscule lime scale in system unless, OV leaking and continually topping itself up or S/System and punter topping up regular basis (daily)for 6 months or more. Have SS next week to look at punter just cracked open filling loop to keep pressure up, that's over a year.

Thanks for the reply Tony but my query is the success rate and am like you I will have a go, so at least I will have a success ratio to start with 1 to 1. It don't, it does???

I said sulphonic acid!

Not sulphuric acid!

Its sold as DS3 and very good at dissolving lime based compounds. Its surprising just how much lime can get into an HE under adverse conditions.

This is not the CC

Sponsored Links
You should have said SULFAMIC ACID.

Neither of the other two are suitable. :rolleyes:

Are you sure it isn't the CC?

Yes, Joe is quite right ( this time ).

It is Sulphamic acid needed for lime based compounds.

Tony

Apologize, should this be in the c/c. I intended it to be but done from my iPhone so pint is so small, will try harder next time.

yes it can be done. Have done loads, powerflush the whole system in one go, so curing the cause as well. FX2 or DS40, or both(one after other) if its really bad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back