I cut the cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Last night we had a power cut and the external sounder went off for the standard 15 minutes because I presume our back-up battery in the control panel is dead. It hasn't been looked at or serviced since it was installed 8 years ago.

About 11pm the power came back on again but after 10 minutes cut off again. This sent the sounder off again. Now I was worried because of the noise and waking up the neighbours.

In my infinite wisdom and because I was half asleep I thought the only way to stop it would be to cut the cable that goes out of our bedroom to the external light and sounder. So this I did. I immediately regretted this as it didn't stop the noise because there is obviously a battery of some sort in the sounder, plus the fact that it is now a bigger job that just replacing the battery. The sounder eventually silenced and I cut the power to the alarm at the fuse box.

I have a Securitech 800L+ alarm system and the cable I cut has multiple coloured wires in it.

Is there any way to splice this cable back together, maybe something that I could do? Is the back -up battery the big black thing that takes up most of the control box?

Any help would be great and might lessen my embarrassement.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The big black thing you speak of is almost certainly your battery-it will have two terminals, a positive and a negative.

You can buy junction boxes that will allow you to joint the cable (as long as you have enough slack). Screwfix do the junction boxes. Most of these jb's come with an anti-tamper feature that will trigger the alarm if someone attempts to take the cover off.

Regards

Thanks Industryspark,

I have 8 individual wires in the cable. Looking at the screwfix catalogue I can't seem to find anything appropriate.

Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ah right, i think the screwfix one from memory was a 6 way jb. sounds like you need an 8 way one-you'l have to search the net for one i reckon.

Id check how many cores where actually being used for the sounder though if i was you-out of the 8 cores, a couple may have been spare, meaning you could get away with the 6 way jb.

Regards.

Sponsored Links
you`ll probably need a pack of fuses too - make sure they are the correct rating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back