I have a problem about the hole in the DOOR SEAL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am emailing to see if possible you can help me. My Washing Machine has been leaking recently -

We have opened it from the top and the back. We have replaced the door seal -

It is still leaking, the leak appears to come from the door seal - reason I have concluded this is because I have put duct tape on the hole at the bottom of the seal (inside machine door) - and it does not leak no more

I was wondering, why there is a hole in the door seal ? - Is it important or just on some washing machines. My washing machine is a Whirpool Awm 1200/01

Is the door seal hole supposed to be on top when putting the door seal in?

If you could help it would be great - If not thank you for taking the time to read this email

Take care

Sponsored Links
you are not emailing but posting on a forum.

so you are saying it still leaks?

one of 3 things, door seal not fitted right, wrong door seal, leak is from somewhere else

next time you do a wash, put paper under m/c and see if paper is we, it wont tell you were but it will tell if under mc

as it happens hp have a hole in the door seal, and it should be at the bottom.

cant say it with words, but the hole can not leak

Sponsored Links
Some machines have a drain hose from the bottom of the seal down to the pump or filter housing. If yours does not have this you may well have fitted the wrong seal. This should have been obvious though, as it would look different to the old seal.

I have checked the seal with the older one - it is the same, but this thing you say about the drain hose from the bottom of the seal is interesting

I will check this and get back to you.

One more question - what is a door seal hole for? - I do not understand the main function of this.

have checked if I have a drain hose from the bottom of the seal down to the pump or filter housing. - There is none

Also, I have checked the previous door seal (that I tuck out) and it also does have a hole there

Does the hole in the door seal have a job to do? - What is it's function? - If I put duct tape on it and for now it is not leaking, will it harm the machine in any other way if I leave the duct tape on?

please note 10a ;)

When I mentioned the door seals with drain hoses I meant that perhaps such a hose is meant to fit where the hole is but perhaps this is not the sort of hole you mean? Some machines have one or more holes through the flange that joins onto the the outer drum. These are simply to drain the water from the seal itself so it does not spill out when you open the door. Such holes do not lead to the outside of the machine though so they can't cause leakage.

The washing machine does not leak now - I tuck off the duct tape and for I was surprised it did not leak when I Rinse Programme on.

Weird.

Anyway, thanks for your help Fido and Breezer. Much Appreciated

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back