I need to put 40mm switch in a 30mm box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am upgrading a few light switches around the house but the new switches are deeper than some of the boxes that are in situ.

For the surface mounted boxes then thats not a problem (just get a deeper box) but the those which are sunken into the wall is an issue cause I cant knock any more of the wall out to make them deeper.

Is there anything that you can get like a collar which adds depth to the box to take a deeper switch. Havent found anything on Screwfix :)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Fair enough!

Just make sure you check your new switches first. Some accessories have square corners...

GPID_1100371221_00

and some have radiused corners...

sin-hq1w.jpg

The extension collar needs to match or it'll look awful.

Cause I would make a complete hash of it.
You'll get better with practice.

A couple of them are in a plastered wall and if I were to replace the box then I could balls up the plastered wall.
And then you can fix the little bit of plaster you damage.

But you're making existing holes deeper - you won't be attacking the actual plaster....

Crabtree accessories tend to have more out front and so don't need too deep a back box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back