I thought i had it sussed, but now confused - "New build" Heating and DHW system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been building my new house and was set on installing what i'd consider a conventional set up for the Boiler, Cylinder, UFH, and rads, however upon researching boilers, it's thrown up a damn site more questions.

To picture - it's a 5 bed house, with 1 main bathroom, 1 upstairs onsuit, downstairs on suit and downstairs WC. The down stairs level i'm going UFH, total floor space is approx 190m2, with 1 room alone being ~100m2. Upstairs will all be rads.

I was set on getting an underfloor heating system from either UFH1 or Boulder chaps, this bit seemed simple, 1 kit with all i need. I was then looking at boilers. In my last house i had a combi, but it was a much smaller 3 bed semi, but it worked well (Remeha) and it had weather compensation all on rads.

Q1. Looking at new boilers, i thought i was going boiler + Cylinder with WC, but i've since learned of Viesssmann Storage combi - 222-F which can be WC as well. I've got plenty of space so can go with conventional, or change to something a bit more modern in terms of technology. Not sure what's best here (overall it looks as though you could price the raw kit the same).

Q2. WC and UFH - well this hadn't occured to me. The UFH kits generally get sold with all mannor of Stats for the different zones (i'll have 5) and the upstairs rads all on another circuit/zone - I really liked the WC in my last house and thought it was the de-rigour thing to have, but now not sure if i've got individual room control - can you have or do you need WC in a UFH and Rad set up?

The UFH manifold needs to be centrally located under the stairs, with the boiler approx 8 meters in a direct line (or 15 round various corners), so not sure again if this would change things

any pointers would be welcome.
thanks all,

Sponsored Links
You can achieve the same effect at the 222F for considerably less money by using an Intergas ECO RF 36 and a Joule Cyclone High Gain unvented cylinder. You'll also get a longer warranty to boot - 10 years on the boiler and 25 on the cylinder. Weather compensation is an option, but OpenTherm control via Honeywell EvoHome might actually suit you better.

thanks Muggles, Intergas are not someone i've heard of before or Joule no idea what their reputation is like - any views yourself? By this approach your suggesting a a conventional set-up. I was going to go with the Heatmiser Neoultra kit, it's priced just about right (evo home seems very expensive).

or change to something a bit more modern in terms of technology.
Combination boilers are not modern. They have been available for over 50 years.
Also totally inappropriate and useless for a house with 3 bathrooms.
Not exactly a winning solution in smaller places either.

Sponsored Links
Combination boilers are not modern. They have been available for over 50 years.
Also totally inappropriate and useless for a house with 3 bathrooms.
Not exactly a winning solution in smaller places either.

What I meant to mean, was all in one systems like the Viessman 222F with a built in boiler. If boiler and cylinder is the way to go, that's all fine, just exploring options that may not yet be the norm..

thanks Muggles, Intergas are not someone i've heard of before or Joule no idea what their reputation is like - any views yourself? By this approach your suggesting a a conventional set-up. I was going to go with the Heatmiser Neoultra kit, it's priced just about right (evo home seems very expensive).
Intergas are the best boilers on the market. Joule cylinders are great quality at a sensible price. I am *sort of* suggesting a conventional setup - more specifically I'm suggesting a hot water priority setup which will allow you to have a very compact hot water cylinder that heats up very quickly. It'll outperform the 222F in terms of flow rate and hot water availability, it won't take up much more room (you can still have the boiler above the cylinder if you want). Heatmiser Neo is OK but it's not very intelligent in terms of energy saving algorithm. It doesn't play nicely with Viessmann's weather compensation either so if you're going down the Viessmann route you may be disappointed.

EvoHome should be just about comparable in terms of purchase price, is cheaper to install as there's much less wiring to do, and will make your boiler cheaper to run if you use the OpenTherm connections. If you go down the Intergas & Joule route it'll save you at least £500 just in purchase cost over the Viessmann

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back