ideal icos HE30 / 36 problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Ideal Icos HE 30, HE36 boiler is not firing up after about 30 seconds. The display is showing C, it attempts to fire up when there is CH or HW demand but the boiler only ignites and stays for about 30 seconds after which it trips off and displays C.

I have tried to reset it via the reset button but nothing has changed.
I have switched the power off for a whole day thinking it might reset itself somehow, but still no change.
Luckilly the immersion heater is workin so we have hot water but the central heating is not working.

I have read somewhere in the forum that it might be a blocked condensate pipe. propblem is, there are two pipes coming ( one metal 1/2'' pipe and another plastic 1.5'' pipe) out of the boiler and i am not sure which one it is.

Oh wise ones, please help me if you can.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it's getting up to temperature too quickly then cutting out. Feel the two pipes coming out of the boiler, how hot are they? What kind of system do you have?

Check the pump.

If the condensate trap was blocked you'd have LF flashing.

the pipes are not hot.

it is a combi boiler. When you ask what type of system, what exactly do you mean? sorry to be a bit thick. The hot water tank and boiler are both in the airing cupboad.

The pump is working but seems to be making a whinning noise which is slightly different from the normal operating sound. This pump was changed about 1 year ago when I first moved into the property.

thanks a lot, expecting your reply

An Icos isn't a combi. If it was a combi you wouldn't have tanks or an airing cupboard. Is the pump inside the boiler or external?

That whining noise your pump is making is air. If you've not done or had any work done on the system recenty you probably have a blocked cold feed. Unless you have a sealed system, do you have a presure gauge and a red expansion vessel somewhere?

How about uploading a photo of everything in that cupboard?

Sponsored Links
the pump is external.

I have a pressure gauge which is reading slightly above 1 bar.

The red expansion vessel is also in the airing cupboard.

please see the attached foto. i hope it is clear enough.

many thanks

The pic is a big help.

First thing to sort out is that whining pump. That means it has air in it and it's why the boiler isn't working propperly. The pump isn't pumping the hot water away from the boiler very well so it gets too hot too quick and cuts out. Basically, the boiler thinks your system has reached temperature. There might be a few bleed points on the pipework in the cupboard or you could vent the pump via the screw in the middle of it. Un-screw it a little with a cloth underneath and see if you get any air out.

Also, follow the pipe above the pump right up to the boiler and you'll probably find some sort of bleed screw or automatic air vent. If you find a screw of some sort undo it just a little NOT ALL THE WAY or you'll get wet! Hopefully you'll get a little air out the water.

Go from there and see what happens.

Have you depressurised the system or allowed the pressure to go down to zero?

Just in case, try tapping the pressure gauge to see if its stuck.

Tony

thanks a million andygasman and agile for the advise.

I have been away for the day and have only just checked the forum for an update. I apologise.

As it's quite late in the day, I shall do as you have suggested tomorrow and get back to you hopefully with some good news :) . once again, thanks

Obviously its not so urgent for you.

But my customers all have 3 month old babies and 93 y/o/ grandmothers and a minute without heating or hot water is the end of the world for them.

I was called in the morning and asked to go this evening at 2200 hrs to a lady with safety concerns about her boiler !

Tony

Thanks a million andygasman and agile for the advise.

After bleeding the pump to remove the air lock, i fired up the boiler and it was cruising down the motorway!!

God bless you both. your help is indeed appreciated and has saved me a lot of money.

thank you indeed. :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back