Ideal Isar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My own 3 year old Isar is playing up, I only serviced in Feb, for some reason it stops working while showering, (the shower is a combi mixer valve), pressing the reset button does nothing, pressing the on/off power switch fixes it for a day or two, there is no error code showing, only a single -- so it doesnt give any clues as to whats the matter with it, anyone got any ideas, it crossed my mind to check whether the condensate pipe was blocked as there
doesn't appear to be an error code for this ??????

Sponsored Links
Hope Ideal man comes on.

Sounds a bit pcb ish dunnit? When you're in there look what sort of pcb you have. The earlier ones had the HT transformer on board but that bit gave trubble so they had a separate board for each boiler in the range, with a separate HT board. YOu can't upgrade unfortunately.

Hey there
The display you are getting if its only a single dash and burner neon on it is more than likley that the fault is a PCB error, however if this only happens when boiler is in HWS mode it may be a blocked plate heat exchanger (Magnetite) would check this first befor blowing a couple of hundred on a board.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, the boiler had two new boards under warranty since new in the first year, I was told when I bought it 3 years ago that it did have the upgraded board as they had problems with the originals, are you now saying that these also ended up being a problem if the ignition is built onto the pcb and not a seperate unit, bollllllllockkkkkkkkks.

System wasnt dirty to start as it had a worcester senior floor standing combi in for 15 years with inhibitor in it, with but was cleansed and flushed accordingly using X400 and inhibitored with X100 anyway because of the alum HE.

The hot water temp dial did fall off at last service even though it was only turned once since fitted and left in midway position, it has been left without the knob since feb and been okay water temp wise since then until last week when it started this intermittant problem.
Of course now it is warmer weather we dont have the heating on and being as it's an intermittant problem I aint gonna run the heating everyday to find out, seems strange that I can have a shower every day for 5 days and then it goes funny and then allright again for a bit.
If it was a blocked dhw he how come it doesnt overheat and give the overheat code ???

With these boilers the most common faults found so far are

1 blocked condensate trap (pig to remove & clean) boilers lights then dies out, also condensate trap cracks on top rim and drips onto capacitor below, trips rcd/blows fuse

2 pump impellor shears (wilo gold 15-60 std head fits) leaving only motor going round with no circulation.

3 ig electrode shorts out inside combustion box.

4 pcb fails on ignition

ps does any one know how to recharge ex-vessel, shrader valve fitted middle top of boiler with cut out in sheet metal casing, giving no acess to get air pump on?
The only way i can see is remove boiler from wall

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
Thanks for all your input ;) lots to look forward to then :cry:

Wasn't a freeby from the bakebean factory :) sorry manufaturers, there's a rumour going round that if you buy a 1000 boilers before the end of the year they will give you 1 free :)

Ideal man said:
See my mate Idealmaster, gave you the answer b4 i got here,( well done son :LOL: )

idealmaster said:
would check this first befor blowing a couple of hundred on a board.

As a registered gas installer pedantic would save on the engineers costs by doinit himself.

How the hell can you justify £200 for a £10 pcb board plus another £100 quid for fitting

Well the boilers over 3 years old so it must be nearing the end of it's useful life and spares are hard to get, if the board costs £200.00 and the control unit cost's £65.00 (guessed price) and the pump is obviously near the end of it's life (it is noisy) £35.00 and the condensate trap is £15.00 I may as well scrap it and fit a CenterBrand Evo (same fekkkin boiler or a Worcester Greenstar and see how long they last, ufortunately I dont like the shape size or overlycomplicated setup of them.
Of course if I am going to fit a new boiler every 39 months maybe it's time to start fitting the cheapest crap I can find from the sheds, I wonder how much of the environment I am shiittinng up haveing to run round for spares and fitting a new boiler (more flushing chemicals into the eco system) so often, kinda defeats the object dont you think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back