Ideas how to seal the gaps between floorboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted to leave bare floor boards in one of the rooms. Is this a good idea? I remember when living in Paris quite a few of the houses had this.

But the floorboards here have 5mm gaps between them. How best to fill the gaps?

I've seen one house where thin wood bits were pushed in. One person suggested pushing in twill.

Sponsored Links
There is purpose made material used by wood floor layers for filling in gaps. Google a trade wood flooring suppliers.

In my 35year plus experience as a flooring retailer......

..........filling with anything is a waste of time, money and effort!

The only reliable fix is to lift and re-lay all the boards and then fill in the resultant gap at the opposite edge to that which you started to re-lay the boards.

...............but by all means try!

Sponsored Links
I did some research and lots of people have had the same question. Two solutions look plausable to me:

1. There's a product called stop gap, designed for the purpose and is cheap.
2. Caulk

I might go for the caulk.

As for relaying the boards, I may agree it's the only way, but no thanks :) I'll let future me worry about fixing the problem when the caulk fails.

I wanted to leave bare floor boards in one of the rooms. Is this a good idea? I remember when living in Paris quite a few of the houses had this.

But the floorboards here have 5mm gaps between them. How best to fill the gaps?

I've seen one house where thin wood bits were pushed in. One person suggested pushing in twill.

I've tried the former, and although my results weren't quite as tidy as in this video, they were still quite presentable. You could see that filling had been done, but when the floor was sanded and varnished it looked like a natural part of the floor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prvQRhagLjI

If you do this, make sure you use old boards and not new timber, or the colour will be lighter.

I only did this where boards had previously been butchered for access, and the tongues removed.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back