Ideas of how to run cable from Loft

However, although he is theoretically right, the chances of the lighting circuit failing when one happened to be in the loft must be incredibly small

Last two call outs I had to a loft.

Moving junk in the loft, loud pop and the lights went out. Trapped cable under pressure from the junk

Tripped over badly installed cable and ripped cable out of ceiling rose.

Sponsored Links
Last two call outs I had to a loft. Moving junk in the loft, loud pop and the lights went out. Trapped cable under pressure from the junk. Tripped over badly installed cable and ripped cable out of ceiling rose.
Fair enough - it obviously can happen, even though it has nevre happened to me. As a matter of interest (nosiness!), I wonder why you get 'call outs to lofts'? - are we perhaps talking about 'informal' callouts to friends/family? I would have thought that it would be an electrician who would get ('formally') called out if something had happened to the lighting.

Kind Regards, John

Friends and neighbours mostly

The trip incident was for first aid as he was bleeding badly from a torn ear lobe and having no lights upstairs didn't help.

I'd echo John's sentiment here. I would extend John's question to also ask the op how often he would expect to work on a lighting circuit, when the only available light is shining through a hole in the ceiling.

In the 2 cases Bernard posted, the loss of light pales into insignificance against the danger caused by running a loose cable across the loft floor. His mate got off lightly with just a cut.

As an aside to the op, installing a new circuit is a notifiable task.

Sponsored Links
I'd echo John's sentiment here. I would extend John's question to also ask the op how often he would expect to work on a lighting circuit, when the only available light is shining through a hole in the ceiling. In the 2 cases Bernard posted, the loss of light pales into insignificance against the danger caused by running a loose cable across the loft floor. His mate got off lightly with just a cut.
Quite so.
As an aside to the op, installing a new circuit is a notifiable task.
Indeed - whereas extending the upstairs lighting circuit wouldn't be, even in Wales.

Kind Regards, John

and if you install an emergency light in the loft, you get light even if the upstairs circuit is isolated/tripped

and if you install an emergency light in the loft, you get light even if the upstairs circuit is isolated/tripped
Quite so - not to mention the (in my case) omnipresent 'torch in the pocket' when working in lofts or cellars :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back