If you want a holiday in NI with your ferret, do it this year

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
BARKING NEWS!

British cats, dogs and ferrets will need an EU pet passport to travel to Northern Ireland after end of Brexit transition period

Sponsored Links
That's what we wanted. To give up control.

CatBrexit.jpg

Somewhat selective "quoting"

"If approval is granted, British holidaymakers will be able to carry on taking their pets to Europe as they do now. As the passports are meant to last for the lifetime of the animal, Mr Moran said, it may not be necessary to replace existing EU ones.

“The request is under examination,” an EU source told the Telegraph. "

Sponsored Links

If approval is granted
Indeed

The clue is in "If approval is granted"

"The requirement for an EU-approved pet passport is a best-case scenario. It is subject to the European Commission agreeing a British request to be considered a “listed” non-EU country that meets the necessary health requirements.

If Brussels decides to withhold approval, a more burdensome certification system will be necessary."

But the UK has stated it doesn't want to align itself with the EU.

So guess what the 'non best-case scenario' will be :rolleyes:

Indeed

The clue is in "If approval is granted"

"The requirement for an EU-approved pet passport is a best-case scenario. It is subject to the European Commission agreeing a British request to be considered a “listed” non-EU country that meets the necessary health requirements.

If Brussels decides to withhold approval, a more burdensome certification system will be necessary."

But the UK has stated it doesn't want to align itself with the EU.

So guess what the 'non best-case scenario' will be :rolleyes:

Sure, but it's anyone's guess. I was merely pointing out that Notch's quote was a selective one and the "will" should have been might, or probably will

"If approval is granted, British holidaymakers will be able to carry on taking their pets to Europe as they do now. As the passports are meant to last for the lifetime of the animal, Mr Moran said, it may not be necessary to replace existing EU ones

selective quoting yes that is true although as things stand the UK is not negotiating in any meaningful way, so it doesnt look hopeful for ferret owners.

Also it isn't true as far as i can tell that existing pet passports will be valid:

From the govt website:
The UK will become a third country from 1 January 2021. Third countries can apply to the European Commission to be listed.

In the EU Pet Travel Scheme, there are 3 categorisations of third country:

• unlisted
  • Part 1 listed
  • Part 2 listed
Pet travel requirements will change depending on what category the UK becomes on 1 January 2021.

All 3 options indicate that a new passport will be required.

Of course people have different relationships with their pets, fully accept that, but I'd imagine it's not much of an issue for the majority. I feel there are bigger fish to fry (feel free to groan)

Sponsored Links
Back