immersion element length

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi..I have just moved to an all electric property which has an immersion heater-- the original thermostat kept tripping so I bought a new one and it's OK now.
My problem is that I only get a small amount of hot water before it runs cold...having a bath with more than 2 inches of water is out! and the power shower is not a lot better.
Is there anyway that I can check the element length without removing it? It may be a short one as the previous tenant was a single person and may have had it changed.

Sponsored Links
How deep is the thermostat pocket ? 27 inch elements will have a 18 inch stat so the depth of the pocket should give you some idea whats fitted.

If you have an electric only heating system then you really should have a cylinder that has a dual element, one in the top and one in the bottom. usually on Economy 7

The top one is for quick, instant water for say washing and dishes etc that can be heated in say 20 minutes, the bottom one is used to heat the whole tank and can take 1-2hrs for baths/showers etc. Usually runs off of 2 separate timing circuits.

I take it yours only has a single element?

Sponsored Links
If you have an electric only heating system then you really should have a cylinder that has a dual element, one in the top and one in the bottom. usually on Economy 7

The top one is for quick, instant water for say washing and dishes etc that can be heated in say 20 minutes, the bottom one is used to heat the whole tank and can take 1-2hrs for baths/showers etc. Usually runs off of 2 separate timing circuits.

I take it yours only has a single element?

That's the problem. Without removing the element I don't know the size but if
picasso is right then it's a 27" element because I replaced the stat last week and that was 18".
It's on E7 and has a horstman controller which gives a choice of a one or two hour boost but I don't know about a dual element.......Looks like I will have to call a plumber after all. :eek:
That's my beer vouchers gone then!!

Sorry I maybe misled you, when I said dual element I meant 2 separate immersion heaters.

If your all electric then you really should have a cylinder with 2 heaters. If you post a pic of the hot water cylinder, it should be pretty obvious if it has 2 or not.

http://www.coppercylinder.co.uk/direct-economy-7-cylinders.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks Rob.

Definitely only one element. One set of wires. Trouble is I'm renting and the landlady will be reluctant to shell out for an upgrade....I assume it will it need a new tank?

Just a new immersion element if the one you have is too short.

Does the immersion connect at:-

-the top vertically

-the top side slightly diagonally
or
on the side horizontally?

A pic of the tank would be of help, along with its sizes?

If it only angles slightly then the wall of the tank would be the restricting factor. Draw an imaginary line through the bottom of the immerser at right angles to it and see where on the wall of the cylinder it would hit, measure the length, thats the approx size you can use.

If less than half way down, cylinder size dependent, you will probably never heat enough of the volume of water to fill your bath before the thermostat turns it off as being hot enough :confused:

A pic of the tank would be of help, along with its sizes?

If it only angles slightly then the wall of the tank would be the restricting factor. Draw an imaginary line through the bottom of the immerser at right angles to it and see where on the wall of the cylinder it would hit, measure the length, thats the approx size you can use.

If less than half way down, cylinder size dependent, you will probably never heat enough of the volume of water to fill your bath before the thermostat turns it off as being hot enough :confused:

Thanks for that....obvious when you think about it DOH.
That's why I'm printer and not a plumber :LOL:
I will have a measure up tomorrow, many thanks.

Incidently it's the landlords problem not yours, shouldn't cost you a thing.

How long are you leaving the immersion on for and what's the new thermostat temp set to? Some come set at their lowest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back