immersion heater problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a immersion heater with 2 elements 1 for economy 7 at the bottom and another at the top. They are both connected to 2 switches with led lights and on off switches. The led for the bottom element does not light up however nothing has tripped at the fuseboard. The water is not getting hot on economy 7 so does anybody know does this sound electrical or do I have to replace the bottom element.

If I do is this a hard job and any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the neon in the switch does not light it might be:

-Failed neon
-Failed switch
-Failed cable
-Failed fuse or MCB at "fuseboard".
-Failed off-peak timer
the immersion might or might not be faulty but it would not cause the neon to stop working.

If you can lay your hands on a multimeter (not a neon screwdriver!) and are confident to work with electrical items you can work out where the fault lies before replacing one of the parts that is not faulty.

If you can post some photos of the immersion heater switches; the timer, the fusebox and meters, we may have more ideas.

When did the off-peak immersion last work, and how old is it?

sorry to sound too basic, but are you looking for the neon to light during the day or when power is to it during the night economy 7 timer period :confused:

it last worked properly a cpl of weeks ago. now i get lukewarm water unless i turn on the top element.

No the neon has stopped working full stop....

Sponsored Links
malp said:
...i get lukewarm water unless i turn on the top element.....

Do you mean the bottom element is working, but not at full power? Or is it not working at all?

Is the cylinder heated by any other means (e.g. gas boiler of coal fire)?

perhaps luke warm water is result of upper immersion. hot water could pass heat very slightly downwards.

I don't think its that difficult. You should trip the mcb and open the switch. You will probably see a molten mass of plastic and copper. reason: Its a 3Kw(?) immersion heater switch, which means that current passes over temporary contacts, which eventually get pitted and start to cause sparks and heat and then the continuity of the switches breaks down and no current passes through the unit. The mcb doesn't sense a short so it remains made.

I found this very problem only a few weeks ago.

The bottom immersion heater should have its own mcb, and if so I would replace the switch with an (un-switched) connection unit. There is no need for a switch on an Economy 7 immersion heater. The timer does the switching and if the householder wants to stop heating the water he can use the Imm Htr mcb or use the main switch in the CU if he doesn't want any CH or DHW.

Could this be a case of the copper (element) failing. I had similar problems a couple of weeks back with my single element immersion tank. Got a plumber out as I couldn't remove the copper. Job done in 2 hours and £16 worth of parts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back