Improving insulation of an already boarded loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into my house in past year(60s build) and found that the loft is boarded with insulation (blanket insulation under the boards). I have been thinking that I would like to further insulate the loft and don't really need the boarded area at present. One option would be to pull up all the board and lay new insulation down. The negatives to this are the likelihood I may need the boarded space in the future and also the effort involved pulling up the boards. Anyway I just wondered if there is a bagged type insulation material I could simply lay over the existing boards and if so could anyone make a rec.on where to get OR is this idea a non-starter? I am prepared to accept a trade off between convenience vs insulation quality to a certain degree

Sponsored Links
Cellotex over the boarding and T&G chipboard loft boards over that?

Firms supplying suspended ceiling components (e.g Armstrong, etc) can sometimes supply pre bagged mineral wool insulation. It comes in long black sealed polythene bags, is ready to install and is used to provide additional insulation (sound and heat) above suspended ceilings. Not cheap, though, but far less hazardous to handle than mineral wool roll (which requires a mask, goggles, overalls and tight fitting rubber-type gloves if you have any sense). Ours generally comes made up to order in bags of up to 4 metres x 600mm

Last edited by a moderator:
Pulling up the boards would, in itself, reduce the insulation - I can't think why you'd want to do that. Why not just lay loft insulation on top of it? - I'd just use normal mineral wool. If you want to use some of the boarded space in future, just lift it and double it up on the space you're not using - you could use spaceblanket or recycled plastic wool roll or sheepswool if you're bothered about working with mineral wool...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back