In what ways are chimneys and fireplaces "sealed up"?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm buying a flat which was formerly part of a Victorian house, with an original fireplace which has been decommissioned. Separately, I' looking at moving to a large Victorian house which has fireplaces in every room... the owner tells me one is a multifuel stove, another has been converted to gas, and the rest no longer work. In both houses it seems like the chimneys are still present and in the breasts appear to be there too.

I'm unclear what people actually do to an existing chimney/flue/fireplace in such cases? Do they just block off both ends or would the flue ever be filled in? Maybe there are various options?

In different cases, can previously working fire-places be re-opened and what is involved? Is there a difference if I want an open fire Vs some sort of wood/coal-burning stove in the fireplace?

I don't know really much about how traditional chimneys OR new ones work, where can I find this out? I believe modern systems fit a metal pipe that is much narrower than the chimney, for instance, but I've never seen inside a chimney properly!

Any useful information, anecdotes and advice welcomed as we consider at the back of our minds whether to bring some of these back into service.

Sponsored Links
A couple of things I found myself:

https://www.homebuilding.co.uk/opening-up-a-fireplace/
http://www.stovefittersmanual.co.uk/articles/wood-burning-stove-in-a-fireplace/

It looks rather simpler than I'd assumed, and that physically filling in a chimney/flue is fairly uncommon - you just block both ends and I'd assume even a concrete plug at the roof level could be removed easily enough.

It appears one would need a flue liner to re-open even an existing fireplace for its original use, is that correct according to the regs? But an existing in-use one would be OK? And even with a flexible "hosepipe" liner you still have to get them swept each year?

Regarding doing things to regulations, is this someone anyone can do as long as they meet the regs without obtaining permission first? Is it necessary to have such changes certified right away, or only if someone wants to check i.e. do you have to notify anyone at all if you wish to open up a fireplace?

After buying a property that has redundant and/or blocked up fire openings you open them up and sweep & smoke test all flues.
Flues with existing liners or appliances in them are taken on a one at a time basis.

OP,
what is it that you are proposing to do with any of the flues of fire openings that you mention?

Perhaps you will research all the recent posts on here about opening up c/breasts etc?

Back in the day my dad blocked up fireplaces by boarding over or bricking up but leaving a tricklevent
Topside, the chimney pot was often removed and a paving slab cemented over the hole.

When friends of mine wanted to burn wood in a fireplace that had had a gas fire in it, they had to have a survey of the chimney before the fireplace people would agree to fit a new fireplace. I don't believe that this was any "rule or law" but a sales condition. They had to have the chimney swept as well

Sponsored Links
The flat I'm buying would probably have a stove fitted for safety reasons - this is going to be a holiday let property and a fire would attract winter visitors. This is the property I know least about and seems most likely to be problematic since it's a town-house converted to flats. I'm pretty sure the breast is in place and the chimney stack is still there.

Regarding the house, We'd potentially like to have at least one open fire. Probably in the room which currently has a gas fire. I'm assuming taking the gas out would have to be done by someone official, and it would not be safe to leave gas connected near an open fire - how far away would the gas have to be removed to? I think the existing multi-stove, the guy said they left the gas there in case someone wanted to switch it back.

For a wood burning stove you would need the views of a HETAS on site.
And exactly the same for a solid fuel fire.
The pre-conditions mentioned above would apply.

Ref. the house, a Gas Safe would be needed to advise and work on any gas appliance or pipework.

All letting properties must have stringent Regs applied & certified before they can be let out.

Perhaps you would benefit from joining a Landlord's Forum - you would be advised in much more detail about your responsibilities and requirements?

It used to be common to have a gas poker

You had a hollow rod with flexible pipe and used it to light a coal fire.
I assume they are still legal.

I have a real flame gas fire

It used to be common to have a gas poker

You had a hollow rod with flexible pipe and used it to light a coal fire.
I assume they are still legal.

I have a real flame gas fire
Never heard of that but it sounds cool - like a blow-torch running off mains gas?

That looks awesome... if we end up with mains gas fitted to a fireplace we convert back to coal, I'm 100% getting one :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back