inaccessible junction box DIY SOS on TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DIY sos program on TV Monday 25th August

The electrician found there was no earth on the cooker connection unit.

To repair this meant removing roof tiles, cutting the felt to allow one little electrician to squeeze into the roof space and work on a junction box.

I guess it was accessible . :cry:

Or was it all a dramatic event that was added to make the program less un-dramatic.

Sponsored Links
Some of the things I've seen Billy do and say on DIY SOS make me cringe :unsure:

Sponsored Links
Did he replace it with one of those "maintenance free" jobbies?
If, as is often (but usually unnecessarily) the case on cooker circuits, the cable was bigger than 4mm², I don't think he would have been able to find a suitable MF "jobbie".

Kind Regards, John

I think the question on what is and is not accessible is a good one. I have seen many times where some one has written on floor boards junction box below and at the time of installing it was assessable.

However add carpet or any other floor covering and the accessibility is reduced. We all expect a builder to include a hatch for assess into roof space.

As well as assessable is also the identifying. At least with junction box below you have an idea where it is, but my daughters house has had the garage converted into a room and from the connections at the consumer unit I would assume some where, likely the location of old consumer unit, there is a huge junction box extending all the cables to new position. However we have yet to find it.

As built plans are clearly required and with commercial premises often there is a really good set of plans but with a house often there is nothing. Even with all the installation certificates and compliance and completion certificates it is hard to work out where cables run.

Never watched the program. Did he after produce as built plans?

I think the question on what is and is not accessible is a good one. I have seen many times where some one has written on floor boards junction box below and at the time of installing it was assessable. However add carpet or any other floor covering and the accessibility is reduced.
As you say, "accessible" is not defined, probably at least partially because it would be next-to-impossible to quantify degrees of disruption and destruction in order to establish limits/thresholds. There is obviously no part of any electrical installation which is "inaccessible" if one is prepared to invoke the required degree of disruption and/or destruction of the fabric of a building.

One would hope that common sense would prevail and I think that, in this context, it generally does.

What is much more questionable is the near-implication that electrical connections "being accessible" makes it significantly less likely, in practice, that they will overheat and set fire to a building!

Kind Regards, John

I'm just watching it on 'really'... And said (shouted at the TV) the exact same thing...!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back