Incompetent ponders feasibility of DIY log burner install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another one of my projects...
We currently have a stunning 1970s stone clad fireplace with a coal effect gas fire that we want to get rid of before we move in to the new house.
I have spoken to a gas fitter about removing the fire and capping off and making safe the gas supply for me before I take a sledge hammer to the fireplace.
Once safe I plan to smash it all back to the original chimney breast and create a builders opening, probably have to fit a new concrete lintel, then fit a nice oak facia to the lintel and replaster as required. I understand I will need to fireboard the inside of the opening etc too from what I have been reading. I just don't really know what order I should be doing things in though. When does the flue liner go in, and how the hell does it actually get in? Is it something I can do myself? I am scared I am going to do something wrong and it cost more to put right than it would have cost to get someone in to do it!

Sponsored Links
If you have an old class a chimney (should have by sounds of it) get a pro to test it. The flue will zap all the heat you'd expect from the chimney breast. I have a flue inside my chimney, when it gets warmer Ill be taking it out! But I would knock out your fireplace, then render it (fireboard is for one off heat exposure, such as a kitchen fire, it'll will eventually fail with continued heat from a burner). Then put your flue down the chimney, connect to closure plate. Then buy and install burner. I had mine done for real cheap, I know there are some that charge around £1k in the midlands just to install. My whole burner, purchased, tested and installed with flue...£650. Bargain, but did take a while, buying things cheap off line and alot of elbow grease by me.
Good luck

If I don't drop a flue liner in though would I not have to get the chimney swept etc regularly? I have been told all manner of horror stories about chimney fires too so I am a bit nervous about having an open chimney. :(

So the inside of the builders opening can just be plastered normally? I read something somewhere that said I needed to line it with vermiculite board before doing anything?

A flue should also be swept, quarterly for wood, yearly for everything else I think. And yes chimney fires are bad, my neighbour had one. They're easy to spot, like a scene from that horror flick fog. The only advantage I see of a flue is when you're not 100% about the integrity of the chimney or for some reason don't want the chimney to heat up, say if you have a tv mounted on it!

Sponsored Links
Sorry, forgot the other question...yes you can just render. I did mine with 3 sand, one cement and 1/2 hydrated lime. Its like rock. I also read about using pink plaster board, but they are a 'one off' fire protection. Once they've been exposed to extreme heat once they are supposed to be changed e.g.a chip pan fire in the kitchen. Even if the board doesn't fail, the board adhesive you use to stick the board on, will! It'll quickly fail with continue heat exposure, contractive and expanding massive amounts on a presumably daily basis.
Render works, its cheaper and its easier to 'diy' than plaster, unless you can plaster

Yep, there's some finer points like
1) size of vent to provide a draft for the fire. If its an old fire, mine was, there will be a vent already under the hearth. Id suggest using that.
2) having carbon monoxide sensors. Mine is wired to the house alarm!
3) step change in hearth and material/depth requirements.
Its lovely reading, make notes as you read it because there are a lot of 'minor' things that you could get wrong and risk not being signed off for.
Also specifically tell your home insurance, even if they don't require it. As I said, my neighbour got stung went it went wrong!

I have have engaged my Gas Safe engineer to rip out the old GF and cap off under the floor in readiness for my kicking ten bells out of the 70s fireplace, he will come and do this on Saturday. I was going to ask him if he thought the old flue from the old gas fire (CF not BF) would do the job for the new log burner but don't want to look like a dick. For an old CF gas fire I am guessing the flue may not be 5", and almost certainly won't be WVE which is what it was suggested would be safest in a chimney running through the centre of the house past kid's bedrooms. Advice???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back