Indesit fridge/freezer thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm new here and hoping someone can help me. I found this forum whilst searching for information on my Indesit TA 5S (UK) fridge/freezer.

I have been trying to access the thermostat, as it seems to make at around 6.2 - 6.7', regardless of the control setting. I have the lamp cover off and have removed the two screws, plus checked that there were no more screws behind the foil. I have been tugging at the control knob, but it is difficult to grip, and would appear to need serious force to pull off.

So, how do I get the thermostat cover off without damaging something?

Temperature readings were taken inside the fridge, close to the thermostat knob. The thermostat was allowed to stabilise with the door closed first.

I suspect that a capillary probe is located further back in the fridge, and may be sitting in a block of ice. I would let the fridge defrost for several days, had not the Director of Domestic Services seen fit to load the device with the food reserves of a small nation!

Sorry for the wordy post, and thanks in advance for your help,

Bill

Sponsored Links
control knob pulls off try pliers carefull not to damage it ,its quite tough underneath that is a nut undo that box then slides off ,i dont think stat is faulty, is comp running, try a 24 hr defrost before removing stat .

Thanks Rocks1, I will get some (padded) waterpump pliers on the knob in the morning.

The compressor runs when the stat makes; my problem is the c. 5.5' make-break interval. At setting 2, the stat breaks around 4.6, and on setting 5 (max) at 1.2'. All this seems normal, but the make temperature is always around 6.5', regardless of setting.

I would do a thorough defrost but, despite my pleading, the mountain of food in the fridge/freezer just keeps on growing.

Will report back when I find something

Bill

Sponsored Links
Hello, I'm new here and hoping someone can help me. I found this forum whilst searching for information on my Indesit TA 5S (UK) fridge/freezer.

I have been trying to access the thermostat, as it seems to make at around 6.2 - 6.7', regardless of the control setting. I have the lamp cover off and have removed the two screws, plus checked that there were no more screws behind the foil. I have been tugging at the control knob, but it is difficult to grip, and would appear to need serious force to pull off.

So, how do I get the thermostat cover off without damaging something?

Temperature readings were taken inside the fridge, close to the thermostat knob. The thermostat was allowed to stabilise with the door closed first.

I suspect that a capillary probe is located further back in the fridge, and may be sitting in a block of ice. I would let the fridge defrost for several days, had not the Director of Domestic Services seen fit to load the device with the food reserves of a small nation!

Sorry for the wordy post, and thanks in advance for your help,

Bill

Put all your food in cooler bags, esky's (insulated boxes) with a lot of ice and then thoroughly defrost the fridge. If you know where the stat probe is, find any ice that might be inhibiting it and scrape it away (or pour hot/boiling water onto it)
Remember the strip channel up back! This may be frozen or blocked.
Start the fridge and run empty for 2/3 hours with stat on a cool setting (2-4°C). It probably is cutting in at the same temp because ice insulates things very well, if this is the case, your problems may be over- From your description here and below I think you have a cyclic. If its frost free, take the covers off at the rear of the fridge and look at the coils, are they FROSTY? If they are, defrost trick. All fridges big and small need defrosting-even if they're frost free (thick ice on coils). Hope this helps :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back