Industrial Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know which qualifications are needed to work on industrial electrics, is there a minimum legal requirement. I was informed in a previous job that an electrical qualification is required but not a specific one, hence as 16th edition is the quickest and cheapest to achieve that is why I was sent on that course. The reason for this question is because where I work there is talk of not letting anyone who is not a fully qualified spark touch anything electrical.

Sponsored Links
hi there

qualification wise you will need 2330 part 1and 2 which is three years in total 16edition is attached to the course syllabus, but will need to update to 17edition when that comes out.

Obviously you could probably find short course somewhere, but the college route is the best way.

The official take is you must be "competent to prevent danger/injury" or be under supervision. I can't see anyone with just the 16th edition being classed as competent to be honest. Things like serving an apprenticeship and gaining NVQ3 in a relevent trade or some of the C&G courses i.e. 2330 / 2360 parts 1 & 2 may help prove towards being competent, as will experience. You really need to ask your employer what they will require to see you in their eyes as competent.

Thanks for the replies.
Hear what you saying spark 123 but to go with my 16th edition qualification I have over 20 years experience which I have picked up along the way as a maintenance engineer out of interest. I'm in a bit of a farcical situation at the moment I have Sparkies, some just out of thier apprenticeships asking me for advice but soon I might not be allowed to continue with electrical work. :confused: Where did you 2 get the info from or is that your own opinions. To be deemed competent seems to be a bit of a grey area to me.

Sponsored Links
The 'offical take' quoted by spark123 is from the electricity at work regs

hi

not personal opions but matter of fact you need to have cand g quals behind you to work on industrial effectively, short courses wont apply as they are about part p which is domestic installs only and doesnt apply to commercial applications.
After the three years you could then do am2 course and then get your jib card.

I can fully understand where you are coming from Brian, we have blokes at work who have the experience bit but not the formal qualifications and are stuck in mates jobs. Experience has got to count for something, though formal qualifications are sadly a must for the industry. The way I tend to think about it is if you ended up in the dock, how could you and your company prove competency other than having formal qualifications and the relevent experience? It's sad in your case I know, but at the same time there has to be safeguards in place to protect everyone - HASWA, EAWR etc. Even after serving an apprenticeship / C&G etc the tradesmen where I work are still not let loose to work on equipment alone until they are signed off by a supervisor as qualified and experienced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back