Industrial machine single phase 30mA trip keeps tripping.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we had a bespoke machine made for us.

The main protection device is a 20A RCBO with 30mA sensitivity.

It keeps tripping out because the combined leakage current of the machines devices is exceeding 30mA.

What options are open to us to make sure the machine is adequately protected but doesn't keep tripping?

We replaced the RCBO but it made no difference.

I don't think we are allowed to increase it to a 100mA RCBO because this would mean leakage current greater than that allowed for direct/indirect contact protection?

Sponsored Links
Why is it currently RCD protected?

How is the circuit wired? Where does the cable run? I assume it is hard wired.

And what does the machine do?

Why does it have such a large leakage current?

Is it reasonable for it to leak like that, or has the designer been incompetent?

Sponsored Links
It has an RCBO because that's what the machine designer put in it.

Wiring is all inside a panel except for 240V supply to some vibrating bowls which are wired in normal 3 core flex type cables.

All separate parts of the machine are individually earthed back to the panel.

We don't appear to have any comeback on the designer/manufacturer since the machine has been commissioned and accepted...the machine assembles small parts which are fed to it via 4 vibrating bowl feeders.

I'd say it is a design problem, the machine has always tripped out occasionaly but this was never addressed by the manufacturer.

I know it is ok to have a fridge for example on a non rcd circuit if it nuisance trips if the socket it labelled as not having an RCD.

I would like to fit a 100mA RCBO in order to still give some protection (not for direct/indirect contact) to see if it gets rid of the tripping.

I have worked on these machines and not had any problems with earth leakage trips.
There are different ways to make them shake but I would expect that a capacitor in the supply filters has gone faulty I did have some problems like that and I used the PAT tester which measures leakage current to work out which filter was faulty.
With four bowls you should be able to compare them and find which one is faulty.

It has an RCBO because that's what the machine designer put in it.

Wiring is all inside a panel except for 240V supply to some vibrating bowls which are wired in normal 3 core flex type cables.

All separate parts of the machine are individually earthed back to the panel.

We don't appear to have any comeback on the designer/manufacturer since the machine has been commissioned and accepted...the machine assembles small parts which are fed to it via 4 vibrating bowl feeders.

I'd say it is a design problem, the machine has always tripped out occasionaly but this was never addressed by the manufacturer.

I know it is ok to have a fridge for example on a non rcd circuit if it nuisance trips if the socket it labelled as not having an RCD.

I would like to fit a 100mA RCBO in order to still give some protection (not for direct/indirect contact) to see if it gets rid of the tripping.

If this kit is in a commercial environment, then there really is NO need for any RCD protection at all.

RCD's are required for socket outlets in commercial applications, but even this can be waived under certain conditions.

RCD's are more relevent to domestic applications, or commerical applications where there is no instructed or skilled person present - In these instances RCD Protection is required for cables conceiled in walls etc.

RCD's are required for all sorts of reasons, but to protect a single piece of industrial machinary, expecially as this protection is INSIDE?? the machine is an oddicy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back