INFORMATION ABOUT CAST IRON PIPES

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI there, i have a question about my drain (old drain pipe) i have been having blocked drains every since the council have renewed the roof gutters cast iron down pipes and cladding .the drain cctv guys said i have a kidney plate down my drain pipe and it needs to dug up but i don't know what a kidney plate is and when work was on going the workers broke the drain cover and smashed the old cast iron pipe off with a hammer my question is is the kidney plate part of the old cast iron drain down pipes i am owner occupier and the counsil say i will need to pay my quart share of bill to dig up the drain to get it out but im barely making the mortgage payments at the moment never mid another bill maybe created by them removing the old pipes and guttering anyone any info or help on this gha say there not to blame and i have to stump up nearly 500 quid to fix the prob all info gratefully received

Sponsored Links
Write to whoever was responsible for the previous work saying you hold them responsible for the broken part falling down the pipe and causing the blockage. Say that you intend to claim the cost of rectification from them. Send it recorded delivery and keep a copy. See if the CCTV people will provide you with a letter supporting you.

I suggest you also contact Citizens Advice Bureau (quickly, as there is a waiting list for appointments) as this may be quite a difficult argument.

Borrow a video camera and film the digging and removal of the blockage in case the evidence disappears

p.s. if you are not very good at writing official letters, get someone to help you. Keep it very short.

GLASGOW HOUSING ASS (GHA) they did the work on the building they are the ones claiming me for unblocking and cctv fees they did unblocking and cctv they are the ones wanting me to pay for the digging up by them it all them i have told them till i am blue in the face (i've been here for 23 years never had block drain or any drain problems till you removed roof and gutters to replace and they broke the drain cover aswell all reported to them at time but the bills for drain unblocking still come the fist few bills they took care of as they were sent out just after work was done but all bills are not down to me i still don't know what a kidney plate is the cctv guys said thats whats down the drain ) heads sore with the attitude from gha they just look at it and say not our fault well i haven't been near drains :( and there are no kids in this 4 in a block so only place the kidney plate could have come from is the workers ) ill look up the cab and give them a phone thanx

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back