Infra Red Heaters in Verandah area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Fellas ( And Ladies should any be lost on here )

I`ve been asked to quote for Wiring and fitting 3x1.8kw Infra Red Heaters in a Verandah area ,Personally I would`nt bother with them but hey ho , Its work etc etc

So the Verandah will be approximately 8m long across the Back of the House , all the Ground Floors are solid and the acess to bring a Cable/s from the Consumer Unit is bad to say the least , So here`s my Plan :-

Fit 10mm 3 Core SWA from Main House Consumer (Non RCD Side)on a 40amp MCB , take through Wall and up outside of House into Roof space , cross Roof Space to back of House then drop down back of House to a seperate RCD Consumer Unit (In Verandah area at High level) with 3xMCB`s (16amp) to power the Infra Red Heaters , these would be seperately Switched alongside the Heaters , This would save me running Three Cables from the House Consumer Unit , Plus there`s only 2 spare ways in the C/U

I think I`ve covered most stuff here ,Any input would be appreciated , I`ve been thinking of various ways to do this , and I think this is the best option - input please.

Cheers Lucky

Sponsored Links
A single cable will need 5.4kw load, let's add a few kw for lighting, maybe an external socket.

At 40 amp (subject to cable distance, installation method etc) you are adding in 17 amp over the load, so plenty of overhead.

Buy a small cu with main switch and use rcbos for whatever circuits you need.

The heater one at 30 amp is fine, as a single 4mm radial to the ir units.

I'd go mains switch to turn them all off, proximity sensors for each unit and if required a switch drop or pull cord from each for on off manual.

Done well a surface conduit run would be a neat solution, sensors and heaters in line and a switch drop.

I take it you are registered because an EIC and scheme notify is required.

Why are you asking about paid work on a DIY site ?

Because quite a lot of other Guys do the same , and its good to bounce things off other People

I`ve been Trading as a Sole Trader for 15 years and Sparkying since I was 16 coming up to 54 so quite a bit of Knowledge , but I can admit I don`t know everything and its good to see how other Sparks would fitout this installation.

Lucky

Sponsored Links
A single cable will need 5.4kw load, let's add a few kw for lighting, maybe an external socket.

At 40 amp (subject to cable distance, installation method etc) you are adding in 17 amp over the load, so plenty of overhead.

Buy a small cu with main switch and use rcbos for whatever circuits you need.

The heater one at 30 amp is fine, as a single 4mm radial to the ir units.

I'd go mains switch to turn them all off, proximity sensors for each unit and if required a switch drop or pull cord from each for on off manual.

Done well a surface conduit run would be a neat solution, sensors and heaters in line and a switch drop.

I take it you are registered because an EIC and scheme notify is required.

Cheers Mate for the constructive Posting , Customer wants a Basic Installation , so the Proximity Sensors are out of the equation , had Planned to run the Cables from the C/U in a Conduit with drops down to the Switches , and Yes I`m with Napit.............. waits for the Flack !! :LOL: !!

cheers again Fella

Lucky

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back