ink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought 10 ink cartridges, online, for my epson photo R300 for under £20. 3 blacks, one of each colour (but 3 yellows cos they always dry up first somehow)

I went to PC world yesterday as I needed emergency supply (frustratingly, i needed to print a B&W document but the stupid printer wouldnt let me as the yellow had gone dry), bought some "PC Line" cartridges, a colour pack with 5 colours, cost me £29.99. The genuine Epson ones were £54.99 for 5 colours and a black.

Does anyone out there buy genuine cartridges??? I think we should all stop buying them, it would put the manufacturers out of business overnight.

I'm considering buying a cheap laser printer for stuff I print for work, since no matter how good an inkjet is, it will never print with the precision of a laser.

Sponsored Links
I use an OKI B4100 "laser" printer and am very pleased with it.

I often pick up toner cartridges on fleabay very cheaply, where an office has found some in their stationery store and they are date expired or they have changed to a different printer.

the drum lasts for years but when it wears out it is usually just as cheap to buy a new printer.

I am on my second OKI. I had one fail after the warranty had expired and they sent me a new one

i thought people had experienced problems when buying cheaper cartridges as it damages the printer somehow?

for the record i always buy cheapo ones. :LOL:

i thought people had experienced problems when buying cheaper cartridges as it damages the printer somehow?
rumour spread by the marketing department of the Printer Ink Co.

Sponsored Links
The only problem I have had is as above - the yellow is always the first to dry out, I think this is due to lack of use rather than over use. ;)

Know what you mean about the very high cost of genuine ink cartridges from the likes of PC World.

Having bad experience with HP refilled/recycled stuff from Staples (cartridge would not work) I do tend to shop around on the net for best price genuine article.

Even tried the fill it yourself kits - not too impressed :LOL:

Which said:
Do generic cartridges damage printers?
63% of respondents to our survey who'd used generic cartridges in their inkjet printer have experienced no problems.

The most common issue for those who did experience problems was that the generic cartridge just wouldn't print.

I bought a compatible ink cartridge won't print at all. What are my rights?
Under the Supply of Goods and Services Act a retailer must sell ink cartridges that are of a satisfactory quality and fit for purpose. So if the cartridge is faulty you should return to the shop and ask them to supply another cartridge that does work or ask for a refund.

My old ink cartridge was refilled in store and now prints are streaky. What should I do?
As the shop has supplied you with a service, the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 applies. You could return to the store and ask for a replacement cartridge or refund.

But before you rush back to the shops, you could try running a print head clean – your printer’s instruction manual will tell you how to do this.

Will using a generic ink cartridge invalidate my printer’s warranty?

Damage caused by fitting a cartridge could invalidate your printer warranty
Read the terms of your warranty carefully to see whether it expressly says failure to use proper manufacturer’s parts will invalidate the warranty.

We contacted the major printer manufacturers and they said that simply using a generic cartridge will not invalidate the warranty.

Any damage caused to your printer by a generic cartridge is unlikely to be covered. If you're worried about this, avoid using generic cartridges until your printer’s warranty has expired – usually 1 year.

Which

I'm considering buying a cheap laser printer for stuff I print for work, since no matter how good an inkjet is, it will never print with the precision of a laser.

Can't you just claim back the cost of the ink from that small local form you work for?

Buy a set of the pricey ones, and a set of the cheapie ones, get them to reimburse you for the pricey ones which you then sell unused on ebay. You might make a few quid out of it... :LOL:

I have always used Jet Tec with Epson printers. Never had a problem. They contain more ink and are about a tenth the price of a genuine cartridge, online.

I always make sure to do a test print including each cartridge/colour about once a month to ensure the nozzles don't get clogged.

I've been using Tescos Value inks for some time in my HP and had no problems.

Sponsored Links
Back