Inline Scale Inhibitor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I recently added an outside tap, which meant I had to temporarily remove a push-fit inline magnetic and electrolytic scale inhibitor from the rising main. When I reconnected it back up, the inhibitor was leaking from both ends and I have been unable to get it to stop.

I'm not a fan of push-fit, so want to replace it with a one with compression fittings (22mm). There seems to be a wide variety of inhibitors to choose from, with an equally wide price range. Is there any advantage to using a combi unit or will a single, either electrolytic or magnetic unit, work just as well? My only reason for asking is based on price. The combi is about £40, whereas as single unit would be about half of that.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Just because you cannot see what it does, that will not mean that it is not doing anything.

A while ago, I went to a CIPHE seminar on water treatment. The consensus was that the most effective type are the electrolytic ones like that one you linked to.

In a different field ( of launderettes ) they came to the conclusion that the permanent magnet types were also very effective.

Furthermore most boiler manufacturers will also expect you to have some form of scale reduction and in the case of some like the Intergas will invalidate part of the warrantee if you don't have any protection.

Tony

Just because you cannot see what it does, that will not mean that it is not doing anything.

A while ago, I went to a CIPHE seminar on water treatment. The consensus was that the most effective type are the electrolytic ones like that one you linked to.

In a different field ( of launderettes ) they came to the conclusion that the permanent magnet types were also very effective.

Furthermore most boiler manufacturers will also expect you to have some form of scale reduction and in the case of some like the Intergas will invalidate part of the warrantee if you don't have any protection.

Tony

This forum needs a bullsh1t filter thus reducing your post count!

Water hardness in excess of 200ppm would require a scale prevention device, so not always expected!

The CIPH can say what they want but there's no comparison of these units possible as water make up differs around the country. In my area the only thing that worked was a Combimate and surprise surprise, it wasn't sold on lowest price it was the most expensive because it worked..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back