inspecting old rads for imminent pinholes or failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I realise that old radiators will die eventually and I have replaced many of mine over the years. I believe the usual failure mode is a small black pinhole which leaks where the corrosion eventually breaks through.

Has anyone any tips for inspecting rads to detect this kind of problem earlier e.g. a magnet?

..or are there other ways a worn-out rad will fail?

Sponsored Links
If you keep an inhibitor in the system, corrosion will be cut down to the absolute minimum. The only time corrosion can happen is when fresh water is introduced carrying oxygen.

As for testing - pressure test? Increase pipework pressure to a much higher than normal rate and if there's a weakness, it'll fail. Hold the pressure to test for slow leaks. Can be done with air instead of water to minimise mess.

Course, could force a failure elsewhere too, such as concealed pipework, or cause a problem that would never have occured under normal operation so not really recommended.

I have been to house's that I know for certain the rads have been in for at least 35 years, were used on open vent then changed to a Combi sealed system, one of them for the last 18 years, and still no problems, what is it with modern radiators then, or do we need to ask, basically someone in their 20's could buy a house, live in it for 40years with no problems, lasted them a lifetime.

Towel rails, so much crap with them, crap fixings, dodgy welds, don't get hot in the middle, no instructions but need flow and return a particular orientation blah blah blah, modern britain garbage.

Sponsored Links
Mmm 35 years - not my old dad`s house was it ;) I installed a simple system with a Parkray in c. 1973 and he moved out in 2008 - I think :oops: Kept a jar in the cupboard with a nail in the Fernox solution - next to the jar with his gall stones :eek:

Towel rails, so much crap with them, crap fixings, dodgy welds, don't get hot in the middle, no instructions but need flow and return a particular orientation blah blah blah, modern britain garbage.

Because towel rails are specced by women for the fashionable look.

Efficiency and build quality are rarely considered in the one room where being warm really matters.

It's not a british thing by the way, same all over the western world.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back