Inspection Chamber holding water

Drains responsibility of water company as soon as they serve 2 or more properties, I think the legislation came about around 2012 along with private pumping stations

They have to be Adopted first, under a Section 106 agreement, and if Water Company arent happy, they wont adopt. Also, as this section appears to only be taking the flow from one Property, it will remain in private ownership anyway.

OP, have you had it CCTV surveyed? This will prove without doubt if there is any physical restriction holding the effluent back, or if (as I suspect) there is a backfall. Unfortunately some Groundworkers haven't a clue about drainage, and the Heath Robinson affairs I've seen some cobble together, it's little wonder so many Folks have issues.

Sponsored Links
Following on from Hugh above.

Has the developer / builder undertaken a CCTV survey? if so Bet they did not show it to you.

CCTV is a must, sorry about that OK will cost a wee bit, but if YOUR CCTV survey proves that there is indeed an issue, of [say] back fall, or the drain line dips under the property somewhere, or the drain pipe rises under the property the cost of YOUR!!! CCTV will be well worth the cost, it will save you a load of time, effort, money going forward if you can prove to the Builder / NHBC [Not worth the paper it is printed on??] then because it is a very new build the defects liability will kick in

Ken.

The builder has had a CCTV survey done. I stood next to the man when he did it and he did say the drain dipped and also indicated there was a problem with backfall.
However I never saw the report.
They then sent the ground worker in to look at it and I think because it isn't blocked they aren't remedying it.
I will have one more push back at them and then get our own survey. It is definately a defect and it shouldn't be leftike that.

Sponsored Links
Problem there is, if they are working for the Builder, they may not be so keen to help....
If it ended up pulled by nhbc/labc or in legal status, they would have to, wouldn’t they?

Last edited:
Possibly, but I wouldn't trust anything from the Opposition in these circumstances. I'd sooner have my own, independent survey done for my arsenal, in case it gets messy. By the sound of things, this issue isn't going to be cheap to rectify, and I'll bet the Builder will do their utmost to wriggle out of any responsibility, let alone make good.

It's a bit like asking a Garage to do a report on the car you've just bought which has blown the engine up after 3 days.... Naturally they'll say it was fine when it left the forecourt!

Bought a new build in 2006, garage flooded due to drains in the road being blocked by builders rubble, cement, mortar, polystyrene cups and all sorts of crap. Builder said drains are okay. Eventually a neighbour and I dragged 3 buckets of crap out and took it down to the show home.

They agreed to rectify it :D

NHBC wont give a toss, they are run by the developers, take a look at the director's names and match them with the big house builders.

Just read Severn Trent info on sewers and it seems that although private sewers/lateral drains came their responsibility in 2011 ( subject to certain criteria) private sewers/lateral drains serving houses built after 2011 do not

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back