Install range style oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new range style oven that needs hard wiring in.
Behind a the cupbaord that I have removed to make room for the oven is a large fused oven switch.
I assume what they mean is to wire off of this switch. Is that correct?

also, this switch will now be behind the oven, would that be OK?

Sponsored Links
you really need to be more specific before we can say yes or no..

what are the power requirements of this range cooker?
is it all electric or dual fuel?
what size breaker is feeding the "switch" you found?
are you sure it's a switch?
what size cable is feeding the "switch" you found?

and we need a picture or drawing showing where the "switch" will be in relation to the cooker.. picture would be better as we can then see what the "switch" is..

OK, not got everything here

Its Dual Fuel, gas hob. The spec say the power for each cavity is 2kw, 2kw & 1.9kw (2 ovens and a grill)

It also says under installation fuse size should be 32 A

The switch I found is a cooker control unit which I think is 32 amp (it might be 45, i am not at home at the moment).

I currently have a Dual fuel single oven running from it

I terms of positioning see attached plan. Top one is how it currently is, bottom how it will be. Can you have them behind the oven?

so you need a 4KW supply then? or is the grill a seperate cavity?
if it is you'll need a 6KW supply then..

that's about 26A.. so yes a 32 would be the next breaker size up..

if it's on a 32A breaker already then it should be ok to connect to this. ( assuming the installer sized the cable to suit in the first place )

as for the connection behind the cooker, is there a switch above the counter too or just the one that would be behind the cooker?

you really need an accessible switch for the range within 2M of it for safety reasons..

Sponsored Links
Yes seperate grill.
Who knows about the cable thats been installed?
I wasn't intending to have more than 1 switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back