Installating a wood buring stove.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I currently have Detached house which had gas fire in the living room with a flu that runs internally in the walls and then through the roof. I'm wanting to remove this for a wood burning stove.

Is this possible?? If so how?

Sponsored Links
By your description I assume yu have a "pre-cast" flue. You cannot run a wood burner into this at all. You would have to construct a VERY expensive flue for it to work.

Why do you want a woodburner?

I know 2 people who have them one paid £400 labour to have the flue and fire installed and checked in a 1930s house , another mate installed his own in a glass conservatory flueing straight through the roof that he built, he was given the burner by a mate and thought at first it was a rubbish one until he did some research and found out it cost 3.5k new. If you have a free supply of wood great that you can store in dry for a year before burning

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for the response.

I think wood burners add a very warming feeling to a house and love the idea of having one.

I wasnt going to do this myself just wanted to know whats involved.

My house is only 12 years old so It sounds like the flu would have to be replaced completely? Does this mean a chimeny would be build or could heat protective flu be run on an external wall and above the roof??

If you have a chimney it can be lined but not if its pre-cast blocks. You can have an external flue.

External flue is very ugly as well as expensive.

Might be better to keep the gas fire.

Most wood stove installations need to be notified to Building Control.

Tony

Not everything needs to be notified to building control in the UK. A two fingered salute will suffice in many cases.
My Dad diyed his own stove a couple of years ago and he's in his eighties. Meets all the regs. His regs! Not some muppets regs sitting in an office on an overpaid salary making them up as he goes along.

[quote="Norcon";p="2359526"]Not everything needs to be notified to building control in the UK. A two fingered salute will suffice in many cases.
My Dad diyed his own stove a couple of years ago and he's in his eighties. Meets all the regs. His regs! Not some muppets regs sitting in an office on an overpaid salary making them up as he goes along.[/quote]

Avery useful post. :evil: ;)

I checked the time snd it was only about 9pm. You must have started on your vice of choice early.

OP : Fiting a wood burner in your circs is a serious job. It IS subject to contrlols, and rightly so.

They are not the cheap to run heating appliance that folk have deluded themselves about.

They are, in the main,ugly and dirty.

Why would any sane person go back 50 years?

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

I think wood burners add a very warming feeling to a house and love the idea of having one.

I wasnt going to do this myself just wanted to know whats involved.

My house is only 12 years old so It sounds like the flu would have to be replaced completely? Does this mean a chimeny would be build or could heat protective flu be run on an external wall and above the roof??

A internal flue is always the best way to go, Skoolboy science will tell you why. Also a Class 1 chimney is always an asset to any home, modern homes are built like air tight boxes, very unhealthy.
However, wood burning stoves are very hard work & you do need a good source of well seasoned logs - even with limited use.

Hi all,

Thanks for this. After reading on it seems that installing one would be a bit of a waste of time and an waste of money.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back