Installation of shower...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi - I am about to install new shower on the adjacent wall from where the old one used to be. Cabling and plumbing already there - just needed to re-route both to that wall - this is not a problem.

Walls is plasterboard.

What is the ideal position of the electric shower unit? I am planning to put it nearer to the corner so the shower riser will be in the middle. I read that the flexible hose should not reach the tray when it is hanging down - it appears the unit will need to be high up, possibly around 300cm from ceiling (ceiling is 2m high as is a loft conversion) Is this ideal position? (tray will be rised)

I read here that elbow compression fitting is preferred over the push fit type for connecting to the inlet connector - right?

Anything else i need to consider? Cheers

Sponsored Links
What is the ideal position of the electric shower unit?
i useally go for about eye level to the centre of the unit.
I am planning to put it nearer to the corner so the shower riser will be in the middle.
bath or cubicle ?

I read that the flexible hose should not reach the tray when it is hanging down

use the ring on the riser rail then it won't.
if it does you get get round the backflow issue by fitting a double check valve.

I read here that elbow compression fitting is preferred over the push fit type for connecting to the inlet connector - right?

always use a compression fitting.
read the MI'S it's all straight foreward.

Thanks for the replies -

It's in a shower enclosure so near to the corner should be ok - I am guessing you are thinking about the safety valve...

Ok - compression fitting it is then - how do I know when it's tight sufficently as with copper pipes I have no issues but with this plastic and without any inserts - makes me concern a bit!

Lastly since it now is not at eye level - the guy who did the soldering for me probably did it too low (and I needed a tray riser which was later) so will need re-positioning the pipe - is it ok to use speedfit to change the position of the feed pipe higher....and ending with a compression elbow fitting for the inlet connector at the shower.

I've read the instruction manuals - and it mentioned I am not to seal the shower unit as it will have about 1mm or so gap for air - I always thought I need to seal but as instructions goes I will abide by it. (Mira Go 8.5kw)

What is the ideal position of the electric shower unit?
i useally go for about eye level to the centre of the unit.
I am planning to put it nearer to the corner so the shower riser will be in the middle.
bath or cubicle ?

I read that the flexible hose should not reach the tray when it is hanging down

use the ring on the riser rail then it won't.
if it does you get get round the backflow issue by fitting a double check valve.

always use a compression fitting.
read the MI'S it's all straight foreward.

It's in a shower enclosure so near to the corner should be ok
yes.

I am guessing you are thinking about the safety valve...
what is this relating to ?

Ok - compression fitting it is then - how do I know when it's tight sufficently as with copper pipes I have no issues but with this plastic and without any inserts - makes me concern a bit!

i aways fit the compression on first before fitting shower this will clamp the olive to the plastic inlet.
then remove the fitting leaving olive/nut on inlet, then when shower fitted you only need to nip the nut/fitting as the olive has already gripped.
fit shower then do it up hand tight and about 1/4 of a turn by spanner
if you get a slight weep just nip it abit more.
you don't need great force.

Lastly since it now is not at eye level - the guy who did the soldering for me probably did it too low (and I needed a tray riser which was later) so will need re-positioning the pipe - is it ok to use speedfit to change the position of the feed pipe higher....and ending with a compression elbow fitting for the inlet connector at the shower.

im not a fan and you shouldn't really fit pushfit fittings where they are not accessable incase they fail.
i would use solder fittings or run a full length of plastic pipe if thats what your using to reposition or at worst a compression.

I've read the instruction manuals - and it mentioned I am not to seal the shower unit as it will have about 1mm or so gap for air - I always thought I need to seal but as instructions goes I will abide by it. (Mira Go 8.5kw)

don't seal shower to tiles it needs air around it or they can overheat.

Sponsored Links
Position of shower unit (you asked bath or cubicle)

i aways fit the compression on first before fitting shower this will clamp the olive to the plastic inlet.
then remove the fitting leaving olive/nut on inlet, then when shower fitted you only need to nip the nut/fitting as the olive has already gripped.
fit shower then do it up hand tight and about 1/4 of a turn by spanner
if you get a slight weep just nip it abit more.
you don't need great force.
Good advice - securing the olive on plastic first.

im not a fan and you shouldn't really fit pushfit fittings where they are not accessable incase they fail.
i would use solder fittings or run a full length of plastic pipe if thats what your using to reposition or at worst a compression.
Hmm will need to think about this one see if I can get access to soldering kit. Probably consider buying my own as may do more work in the other bathroom :eek:
You know of where to get this - just a cheap basic kit sufficient for occasional DIY use.

i asked because if it was a bath you don't want the unit in the far corner or you get soaked from the shower head when you reach across and turn the shower on.

You know of where to get this - just a cheap basic kit sufficient for occasional DIY use.
solder/flux not a problem BQ or SCREWFIX.
ie if you solder on any potable water supply it must be lead free
so just buy a lead free solder you can use on anything.
they also do some descent blowtorches without costing a fortune.

i asked because if it was a bath you don't want the unit in the far corner or you get soaked from the shower head when you reach across and turn the shower on.
Ahh - then I may have this issue as would need to reach over to the unit to turn it on - the existing cabling (from the pull cord in the ceiling) will not reach that far if I was to move it to the enclosure end. Looks like I need to renew the cable from the ceiling?

How far away should the pull cord be from the enclosure as the shower is bigger than before.

Sorry for all these questions but it's helping me!

How far away should the pull cord be from the enclosure as the shower is bigger than before.

so you can't reach it when using the shower.
zone 3 which is 0.6m = 23 1/2".

The previous installation is less than that!

In order to use the existing cabling - and to make it look more neat inside (i.e. without pull cord) - I am thinking of using a wall mount switch (outside bathroom obviously) and it would be on the other side of the plasterboard wall where the shower is fitted. Can anyone advise me which switch can I go for? Give me a link to Screwfix please? Thanks.

Nice image!

Was just thinking - since this will be mounted on the other side of the plasterboard - I am hoping it will be in a different 'stud' area which is away from any plumbings - is there any requirements I need to keep in mind in case of any leaks in the future? Or just leave it to RCD!

didn't work when i clicked it. never mind.

providing it's all ok when you install no reason to worry.
or you could say that about your whole house if you had a leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back