Installed bath, sink & throne, now need add sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tiled, Installed bath, sink & toilet, now need use SEALANT around the BATH and SINK

I bought UNIBOND Kitchen and Bathroom White Sealant and attempted to run a bead around the bath

What a bliddy mess

I ran a bead around bath and immediate used a wetted spatula to shape and the excess sealant over-spilled and the only way to cleanup was to use white spirit and cloth to clean the lot off and start again

At a fiver a tube I’m getting no nearer to the finish

Appreciate any advice

Sponsored Links
Masking tape applied to bath and tiles will give you a neat finish.
Run a wetted (in fairy liquid solution) finger along the sealant for a pro finish.
It is difficult and I'm slowly getting better ;)

Start again, use white silicone "sanitary" sealer, cut nozzle off at a 45 degree angle with not to big a hole as a large bead is harder to smooth, run a continuous bead along into groove of bath and tiles, wet finger well with your tongue and draw finger along over bead, with the sanitary sealer stuff you can keep wetting you finger and going over until nice and smooth, the smaller the bead the easier it is to get a neat smooth finish.

Use Unibond 30 year stuff - lasts really well. Use a tiny amount - less than you think you need. Keep fingers, water, soap well away. Use a purpose designed tool as made by plasplugs, say, or the corner of a credit card which will bend enough to conform to the surfaces.
Dries shiny and makes most fingered jobs look amateurish.

If you have a wide gap get a white plastic quadrant as used by double glaziers and stick it in with silicone. Looks very neat.

Sponsored Links
just enough bead for the gap and water/fairy liq 50/50. dab finger in and wipe, clean finger on tissue... dab finger in and wipe, clean finger on tissue...
get the idea ?

I tried a little tool that looked like a rubber finger, it didn't work well.

I'll try the c.card.

Has anyone tried dowel ? and why have I never tried a piece of pipe ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back