Installing a dimmer switch on two-way circuit

I've just had a thought on the way home... Is it actually achievable to have a two-way circuit working with a dimmer switch? I'm not having too high an expectation am I? I thought about the message on the back of the switch I've just seen in Homebase, and the instructions posted above, and they both say in a two-way circuit one of the switches must be a retractive switch. Is a pull-on/off light retractive?

Sponsored Links
No, your pull cord won't be retractive.

It depends which kind you have bought. Perhaps you should study the subject before going any further.

That's why there are so many options on the instructions.

See, I asked the question about retractive switches a lot earlier whilst I was in Homebase. Strangely, in these instructions there is only one diagram, and on the dimmer itself it shows the common and only ‘L’ as opposed to L1 and L2.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 79
Here’s the other light.

Attachments

• 052553BB-8DA7-457E-B122-7250715C3618.jpeg
    052553BB-8DA7-457E-B122-7250715C3618.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 118
Sponsored Links
You have brought a multiway dimmer, for 2 way it is used in conjunction with a retractive switch, you can then dim from 2 or more locations.
With standard 2 way you can only ever dim at 1 point, the other point must be a 2 way switch or a 2 way pullcord.
Depending on your wiring,What you likely need is a standard 2 way dimmer, the one with 3 terminals, these are always push on push off type, not rotary dimmers

You have brought a multiway dimmer, for 2 way it is used in conjunction with a retractive switch, you can then dim from 2 or more locations.
With standard 2 way you can only ever dim at 1 point, the other point must be a 2 way switch or a 2 way pullcord.
Depending on your wiring,What you likely need is a standard 2 way dimmer, the one with 3 terminals, these are always push on push off type, not rotary dimmers

Really? It said on the website it was a two-way, not multi? Can you give me an example of a push on, push off dimmer, please? Would this be one?
https://www.homebase.co.uk/schneider-electric-400w-va-single-2-way-dimmer-polished-chrome_p174977

https://www.homebase.co.uk/schneide...ngle-2-way-touch-dimmer-painted-white_p175150
Homebase said:
This sleek and sophisticated Schneider Electric Ultimate 300W/VA single 2 way touch dimmer provides a screwless flat plate painted white finish.

[QUOTE="Rybeast, post: 4134945, member: 255719" and I may get a testing pen too.

[/QUOTE]

Don't. They are unreliable.

Really? It said on the website it was a two-way, not multi?
Im only going by your picture of it, it looks to me similar to what is known as a slave and master set up, most of the time it likely would be used for 1 way Or 2 way but it usually is able to fit unlimited extra retractive switches to your master switch, the advantage being you can dim at every point, hence multipoint.
As said previously it is likely not suitable for your case unless your pull switch is retractable, if it clicks as you pull it then it is Not retractable.

your 1st post says you have a dimmer with, L1 L2 and a Variable outlet terminal (similar to COMMON),
Then you go on to show your multiway dimmer which is not the same, it has 2 terminals and the 3rd likely under that sticker, usually there to stop people mistakenly connecting it and blowing the dimmer, as the label over the terminal and as the instructions likely say it is for connecting to a retractable switch, usually similar to below.

remwire1.gif

if the switch you took off had L1 L2 and common, thats the easiest option,as your links dont show the rear, then you need to look at the back of the dimmer, with the exception of the one you brought most marked 2 way will be suitable, but check the back.

You do not want one with one terminal blanked out
You do not want one with an "S" terminal
You do not want one with 2 terminals or a rotary one.

You do want one with 3 terminals marked
L.L1.L2 or
L1.L2.L3 or
2 Terminals marked L? plus a third squiggly line and arrow terminal.

OTHER issues like the Load also need to be considered when selecting a dimmer

Last edited:
Success!!

I’ve changed a plug socket tonight, which was an absolute nightmare. How do you all line up the screws well enough?

My lighting has had some success too. I managed to install the dimmer, it now works. I am able to turn the light off from my bed! The two-way switch is working! There is, however, something strange going on. Whilst the pull-cord at the bed does work with the dimmer switch, it depends on what’s happened as to whether the switches are going to work or not. Example - I tested to make sure the dimmer worked, it does. I then checked my pull-cord to see if that also works. It does. They don’t sync with each other though. Sometimes I can switch on at the dimmer, but not off at the pull cord. Similarly, I can sometimes seitch the light on at my bed, but not off at the dimmer... Any ideas/solutions?

You have wired it wrongly. If you don't understand best to call a sparks. Electricity is dangerous in unskilled hands.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back