Installing a double oven - Some questions ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my 1st post so go easy on me ;)

The single oven I have is dead, so we've ordered a new double oven. I removed the oven unit & modified it to suit the bigger oven. The power supply for the single oven is just a 13A socket into the 32A socket ring circuit. The new appliance requires a 30A supply so I know the existing supply is rendered useless. The plus point is that I'm also converting my hob from electric to gas so the power socket will no longer be required.

The questions are.......

Can I use the cooker socket to supply the new oven ? (this has a single 32A on the distribution board)

If so - What size of core cable will I need ?

Can I use the junction box for the hob to join the new cable to the oven ?

edited to add the following data :-
Enegry Efficiency Rating - B/C
Fuse Rating - 30 amp
Connected Load - 4.07 kw

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
BTTT

One other thing - I've read that theres a requirement for the CCU to be within 2m of the appliance. My hob is OK but my oven is a good 3-4 metres away.

If that is the case and I can't use the current switch then I'll have to install a new one. The problem is where do I install the new one cause I don't have any where that would be near a wall.

C'mon some expert/professional must be able to help me here plz

Sponsored Links
Due to the room layout L-shaped, the oven sits in the corner and is surrounded with cabinets so no walls are in view (if you know what I mean)

Just been to B&Q and seen this :-

p2407106_x.jpg

This means I can utilise the double socket to the side of the oven and replace with this.

caz1562 said:
This means I can utilise the double socket to the side of the oven and replace with this.
But where is that double socket? You said you had no walls within 2m..

A switch inside a cabinet doesn't really meet the requirements for accessibility, but you wouldn't be the first to do it....

OK m8 - what about the cabling size ? Am I correct in stating 6mm should be OK

The guys who fitted the kitchen have sockets inside a few of the units (fridge, freezer, dishwasher, washing machine & tumble dryer)

What about the dist board - I've a spare 40A & a 32A trip.

thanks again

caz1562 said:
OK m8 - what about the cabling size ? Am I correct in stating 6mm should be OK
6mm² will be more than adequate - it's only a 17.7A load, so on a 20A breaker you could use 2.5mm² if you wanted. I note though that the oven maufacturer specifies 30A, so you'll need 6mm² on your 32A MCB.

The guys who fitted the kitchen have sockets inside a few of the units (fridge, freezer, dishwasher, washing machine & tumble dryer)
You see that's what happens when you let kitchen installers design and install electrics - they mess up.

cheers m8 - I have noted they must have been fly by night cowboys.

Its only now that we've found out the they built the oven unit wrong :rolleyes:

Thanks for your comments

Just one thing - In ur opinion, would the socket be OK in the cupboard under the oven ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back