Installing a gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a predicament; in my house, we have concrete floors, and currently no gas - capped pipes, no meter.

I want a gas fire in the front room, what's the normal way to deal with concrete floor, is it dig a channel in the floor, or up and over - under the floors upstairs?

In our old house we had a 10mm copper (coil?) pipe feeding our fire. Is it ok to fit the pipe myself, and leave both ends disconnected for a the experts to finish?

Finally, what are the rules about sinking pipes in the floor / walls if fitted as above (i.e. disconnected at both ends).

Sorry for all the questions!! Thanks in advance :) :)

Sponsored Links
Hi Jeeves. If you are looking to channel out the concrete and run a supply pipe to a fire, you must first calculate your pipe run from the meter to the fire, taking into account the output, and length of pipe. You can only allow for a 1mbar drop in pressure from the meter to your appliance. Normally a 15mm pipe within 1.5m of the appliance would suffice. Once you have run the pipe, you must test for soundness, as you have no gas, a test with air would do. Then you can wrap the pipework ( stopping the lime from corroding the pipe from the concrete ). You should then cap all ends if not installing and commissioning the installation. The best ( and easiest ) route would be surface pipework, as any future problems with your supply wouldn't mean cutting out the floor again. Hope this helps. :)

Most gas fires need an 8mm connection. Only a maximum of 1m is allowed in 8mm, the rest will need to be 15mm.

Your RGI should advise the best way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back