Installing Catnic CN6XC/BHD100 Lintels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen is being extended and on the external cavity wall there are two windows, separated by brickwork. The windows are due to be taken out, and a new opening made, with a span of 2.6m, to extend the depth of the kitchen. I'm advised that 2 x Catnic Lintels (either CN6XC or the newer spec BHD100) will be suitable for the load, and that 3m lintels will be required to achieve the minimum required end bearing of 150mm.

Judging by the dimensions (height 219mm), three courses of bricks will need to come out, and I'd like to get the job done before the main build because needing to take out one course of bricks above floor level in the room above is preventing me from getting on with refitting a bathroom and installing the pipe runs for my central heating.

I know that the lintels themselves can be bought for around £250 + VAT, and wondered how big a job installing them would be, and what sort of cost should I anticipate (in the Midlands) for the whole job (supply & fit).

Sponsored Links
After discussion with the extension designer, we have decided to use steel beams of a smaller section than a Catnic lintel, so only two courses of bricks now need to come out.

I'd still be interested in any views about the likely cost of installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back