Installing concrete lintel for doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's an internal load bearing wall made of old 190s blockwork and our SE has specced a 65/100/1200 lintel with 150mm bearing onto blockwork either side.

I've only installed lintels into non load bearing walls before. Can I just place the lintel onto the bearings with mortar between or do I need to replace a brick either side with an engineering brick or even make a padstone? I've also seen talk of using slate to take the bearing weight. What's the proper way of doing this?

Sponsored Links
Just bed it on mortar. You need not worry so much over a door sized opening.

However, we always give any recently exposed masonry a good soaking with water prior to laying any mortar, as it helps with key etc.

Just bed it on mortar. You need not worry so much over a door sized opening.

However, we always give any recently exposed masonry a good soaking with water prior to laying any mortar, as it helps with key etc.

Cheers noseall :)

Sponsored Links
Your structural engineer would have worked out the imposed loadings on the bearings and seen if this needed upgrading of the blockwork and specified engineering bricks etc. like you said.
Since he hasn't, this won't be necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back