installing elctric oven and ceramic hob.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im going to be installing a new kitchen and i want to put in a new electic fan assist oven and ceramic hob the issue is the current oven wiring is on the other side of the kitchen. am i right in thinkin i can just find where it goes to in the loft (1st floor flat loft above) and wire in the exsisting cooker wiring into a junction box to new point the other side of kitchen? Also can the oven and hob run of the same wire via an oven switch installed into the wall, the current cooker wiring just powers a stand alone electric cooker.
Thanks luke

Sponsored Links
Luke

1st you need to consider the electrical load that the oven and hob will use.
Refer to either the makers web site or manuals and confirm the watt / kW load of each item.

Ceramic hobs tend to use a lot more power than a standard hob, so the cable and fuse for the old cooker (all in one unit) could be much less than is required for the combination of seperate ceramic hob and oven. If so you may have to recable from the board and update the fuse at the board.

You might be able to use the old cooker feed, pulled back and rerouted (without a junction box which isn't allowed unless it is accessable) for the more powerful appliance (ceramic hob is likely to be that) and the oven might be able to plug in to the socket ring** already in the kitchen

** Might will have to be qualified since adding a juice heavy item on to the existing kitchen socket ring circuit might overload it and cause fuse tripping.

It may be possible to re-use the existing cable, at least for one appliance.
However it would be better to have an additional circuit for the oven.

Can you supply the following info:

What are the power ratings for each appliance? (kW)
What is the size of the existing cable? (mm²)
What is the rating of the cooker circuit's fuse or MCB? (A)
How long would the cooker circuit be (in metres)?
Do the manufacturer's instructions mention specific overcurrrent protection devices for each appliance?

It may be possible to re-use the existing cable, at least for one appliance.
However it would be better to have an additional circuit for the oven.

Can you supply the following info:

What are the power ratings for each appliance? (kW)
What is the size of the existing cable? (mm²)
What is the rating of the cooker circuit's fuse or MCB? (A)
How long would the cooker circuit be (in metres)?
Do the manufacturer's instructions mention specific overcurrrent protection devices for each appliance?

Echo, what an appropriate name- Not sure why you have repeated the majority of my post content- more so when I was 15 minutes before you ?

Sponsored Links
Sorry Chri5 - I genuinely started typing my response before your post, got distracted by breakfast, and after I submitted it saw you had already posted your response.
I am suitably embarassed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back