installing electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a new Neff double oven - www.neff.co.uk/U1422.html. Very nice and shiny it is, too.

I've searched the forum on this topic, and come up with a few similar issues - but nothing that quite matches.

The oven isn't supplied with a connection cable :rolleyes: and the manual tells me I need a cable H05RR-F 3 G 1.5

I've looked at the wire coding system in this post:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11233&highlight=HO5, but I just want to confirm that this is specifying 1.5mm cable?

Oven is rated at 4.6KW. Old (single) oven was 2.1KW - can I use the cable from that oven?

Cooker circuit itself is fine - newish house.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What is this "cooker circuit" you speak of? What size cable supplies it? What is the rating of the circuit protective device? Is there an electric hob on the same circuit?

This oven is more than double the rating of the old one, the wiring may have only been designed for the old oven.

It's a 32A circuit - not sure of cable size, but house was built in 1992 (have the regs changed significantly since then?). Cooker is the only item on the circuit. Cooker switch doesn't have a socket. Cooker switch feeds a 13A FCU in the cupboard beneath the oven.

I've just checked the old oven cable and it's only 1mm - so I'll need to but some 1.5mm anyway.

Thanks

So you have a 32A MCB feeding a cooker switch, which in turn feeds the 13A FCU? And there is no electric hob?

Right, for this oven, remove the FCU (the oven is now >13A) and replace with a cooker outlet plate. Use the same size cable as the rest of the circuit (6mm²?) to make the final connection to the oven.

That old oven should never have been connected in 1.0mm².

For correct protection of the oven you should change the protective device for a 20A MCB (4.6kw is spot on 20A at 230V), but it should be ok at 32A, as a 20A would be sometimes running at limit which isn't good for it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back