Installing Fence Posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to site a fence post when digging the hole I came across a service pipe do not know what it is (water or gas) approx depth of hole is 12". Since the hole is not deep enough I will be making a wooden form for above ground level to pour in concrete of approx 10" high and then backfilling with soil etc to a new level.
Should I move the post or is it okay to cover the pipe up with approx 4" of soil and place post on top of this - would like to avoid moving the post as it will be for fixing a gate to eventually.

Sponsored Links
Put the post somewhere else. It will not hurt to carefully investigate the pipe and see what it is, then put something round it to prevent your concrete encasing it. One day it may need to be taken up and replaced or repaired.

Putting made-up soil round your concrete block will not give it support.

I was once digging out a neglected garden, found a big tree root in the soil. couldn't chop through it with my spade so I pulled it to the surface with my pick to have another go at it. It was a mains power cable! I had to sit down for a minute after that... then dug a trench and reburied it deeper with tiles over.

JohnD said:
Put the post somewhere else. It will not hurt to carefully investigate the pipe and see what it is, then put something round it to prevent your concrete encasing it. One day it may need to be taken up and replaced or repaired.

I was once digging out a neglected garden, found a big tree root in the soil. couldn't chop through it with my spade so I pulled it to the surface with my pick to have another go at it. It was a mains power cable! I had to sit down for a minute after that... then dug a trench and reburied it deeper with tiles over.

with yellow hazard tape over, I hope!

Tried moving the post hole 6 - 8 inches back from origonal hole, dug out hole only to reveal biggest rock about 8" down which is not for moving, this never happened on the gardening progs on the telly.
Re soil round the concrete should have been clearer I am trying to build a raised bed from old cobble stones which will be cemented in place, should I build the wall back fill with earth and then dig the post hole?

Sponsored Links
See how monolithic a lump you can make with your footings, wall, concrete block and post before you add the soil. If you can lay your hands on some steel rod or mesh to reinforce it against cracks that will help. You might even be able to incorporate your bit of rock if you scrape round it enough.

Be sure not to use a wooden post, you really won't enjoy digging it out in a couple of years when it's gone rotten.

WabbitPoo said:

Don't think it was invented back then!

WabbitPoo said:
JohnD said:

Unlikely if it was his service cable

JC_Derby said:
WabbitPoo said:
JohnD said:

Unlikely if it was his service cable

If you come across a power cable, regardless of its purpose, I'd say you should cover with protection and hazard tape so the next person might find out sooner rather than later

Chappie said:
this never happened on the gardening progs on the telly.

dont be so sure about that, all them progs are edited you only see what they want you to see, a big rock in the ground is not entertaining

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back