Installing gas boiler in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any special requirements for installing a gas boiler in a garage? Garage is semi-detatched from house, single brick walls with piers, corrugated asbestos cement roof. Boiler will be a condensing combi.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul

Sponsored Links
the clever man would add frost protection if the boiler doesnt already have it.

the clever man would add frost protection if the boiler doesnt already have it.

Fitted in series with a pipe stat ;) Also an electrical isolation switch at the boiler for servicing, probably a fan isolater if perm and switched live are present.

Sponsored Links
a garage only come into play for ventilation of an open flued applaince so if you are fitted a condesing applaince you need not worry. only other thing then would be your condesate drain, if its a soak away lag pipe externally and keep it a distance from foundations and then also your flue termination point with regards to boundries of property, corners and combustable materials etc.

Fitted in series with a pipe stat ;)

I think you meant in parallel!

But most boiler protection systems are internal and so not connectable.

An external frost stat on the pipes or perhaps just in the garage would be wired across the timeclock/thermostat if the boiler does not provide a specific connection point!

Tony

Fitted in series with a pipe stat ;)

I think you meant in parallel!

But most boiler protection systems are internal and so not connectable.

An external frost stat on the pipes or perhaps just in the garage would be wired across the timeclock/thermostat if the boiler does not provide a specific connection point!

Tony

i dont think he did. and you can wire a frost/pipe stat anyway you like as long as it switches the boiler on when its suitably cold.

oh yeh...!....(thats just in case you dont understand anything without an exclamation mark at the end of it) :rolleyes:

Frost stat and pipe stat in series???
Does that not mean that if the frost stat says “I am cold” but the pipe stat thinks it’s fine, the lot still freezes to smithereens?

Frost stat and pipe stat in series???
Does that not mean that if the frost stat says “I am cold” but the pipe stat thinks it’s fine, the lot still freezes to smithereens?

A frost stat on a cold wall will take far too long to react without overheating the property!

If the pipe stat mounted on the return pipe work is satisfied, what is there to freeze as the boiler and pipes will be hot???

No I meant in series Tony, so the boiler can't fire unless the water is in danger of freezing, rather than just the air temp dropping.

The pipe stat should go on the return.

I allways fit the pipe stat on the flow any way as the frost stat should of fired up the boiler @ +5 then the pipestat overrides it at +10 & the boiler warms its self on the system bypass. Its only to protect the boiler not the house, on conventional condensing i get it to only override the dhw so u get soon get warm coil water back if the cyl 's warm. Good idea if its a combi in the garage to create a large cupboard around all pipework & boiler as ya w/amin & dhw pipework arnt protected at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back