Installing new light fitting - retaining existing ceiling rose?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'd be really grateful for some advice on installing a new light fitting I've just had delivered.

The original wiring has three sets of cables which are wired into a ceiling rose, as follows:

20230222_105138.jpg

20230222_105226.jpg

20230222_105253.jpg

The wiring for the new light simply requires L, N and Earth, as follows:

20230222_105809.jpg

20230222_105651.jpg

I think undoing the ceiling rose and rewiring from scratch is going to be beyond me.

However, there is already a neutral and a live wire emerging from the rose into the current light fitting. Could I simply take those two wires and wire them into the new fitting? And if so what should I do with the earth?

All advice/thoughts welcome - thank you.

Sponsored Links
You would have to remove the rose ,to enable the bracket that holds the new fitting to the ceiling.
Best to engage an electrician if you are not competent to work on electrical wiring.

You would have to remove the rose ,to enable the bracket that holds the new fitting to the ceiling.
Best to engage an electrician if you are not competent to work on electrical wiring.
Thank you, you're right, it's not ideal, but it might be possible to fit everything into the housing including the rose.

I agree about engaging an electrician, and I certainly will if I don't feel confident. But if it is possible to retain the rose, that strikes me as more like wiring a plug (which I definitely can do) than anything more complicated. Or am I being naive about that?

How do you intend to fit the bracket flush to the ceiling with the rose In place !

Sponsored Links
How do you intend to fit the bracket flush to the ceiling with the rose In place !
As I said, I think the rose might just about fit into the housing, underneath the bracket.

It's entirely possible that might not work, but I'd love an answer to the electrical part of the question before I waste my time trying it!

I have, in the past, done as you suggest. trap the mounting bracket under the ceiling rose using the rose screws and connect the new fitting to where the pendant was connected(dont forget the earth!) Perhaps i was just lucky with the cable positions where they exited the ceiling.

As I said, I think the rose might just about fit into the housing, underneath the bracket.

It's entirely possible that might not work, but I'd love an answer to the electrical part of the question before I waste my time trying i
You would need to connect live ,neutral ,and earth conductors to the new light fitting. It must be earthed.
So the answer to your original question is No ,you can't just connect the live and neutral by using the existing flex.

You would need to connect live ,neutral ,and earth conductors to the new light fitting. It must be earthed.
So the answer to your original question is No ,you can't just connect the live and neutral by using the existing flex.
But if I removed the earth wires from the rose and attached them to the earth on the new fitting, that would work in theory?

Try it, and see if you can connect the three earth conductors into that tiny connector block, cram in the rose ,and work out a way to fit the bracket . Or consider doing it the correct way by removing the rose ,connecting the wiring into a Suitable junction box,and running a 3 core flex from the junction box to the light fitting.
Probably a lot easier than what you are contemplating.

A junction box in the ceiling 1677083877252.pngis likely the best option, basic the ceiling rose acts as a junction box, so you need something to replace its junction box function. You could use some connector block and hid it under the new cover, the important thing it mark this wire
1677084204504.png

You don't want it to get mixed up with other black wire, it is the line to lamp, mark it with some tape or some thing, as important it does not get mixed up with other blacks which are neutrals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back