Installing New Sockets In The Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone can help

I currently have a single socket (socket 1) that has two cable entering it. I presume this is a ring main but would like to check (if someone can explain the continuty test) I then intend to remove the incoming cable from socket 1 and attach this to a junction box (A) and then remove the return cable from socket 1 and insert into a second juction box (B). I will extend a new cable from the JB (A) to a socket (socket 2) in the loft, take a new (return) cable from the socket (socket 2) in the loft and insert back into the existing socket (socket 1). Run a new cable from socket 1 to junstion box (B) which should create a circuit. If someone could just put my mind at rest and confirm this procedure it would be grate.

Cheers

Michael

Sponsored Links
1) You can't do a continuity test at a socket to determine if the cables are a ring. You have to remove both cables, safe them with choc-block, turn the power back on and see if both ends are live. If they are then it's a ring.

2) You've got one too many junction boxes. Draw what you have described, and then ask yourself why you need JB-B rather than just leaving the existing cable in S-1.

3) the JB will be "accessible", won't it....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back