Installing new washing machine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Intending to instal our new washing machine soon. Both the hot and cold supplies are already plumbed in so our concern is simply to do with the waste.

We want the wastepipe (from the standpipe) to have a separate outlet to the outside drain rather than share the existing connection to the kitchen sink waste. This means drilling through the wall to the outside as near to the drain as possible in order to keep the outside pipe run as short as we can. Is it necessary to ensure that the wm wastepipe is sleeved as it will be in contact with sharp brickwork in the hole of the drilled wall? Or is the plastic used for wastepipes sufficiently strong not to require sleeving? Also it will be necessary to do a bit of pointing around the pipe on the outside wall, so is it usual to use readymix or is there something more appropriate considering only a small amount will be required? Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yes, your waste pipe is strong enough to endure going through the wall, No it does not have to be sleeved, before you rip the ass out of your wall however, it may be an idea to look at where you think your waste pipe is going to pop out of the wall, & make the easiest route, between bricks?..etc.. :D As for repairing the hole that you have made, all you suggest will be fine... try to make a small hole :D

Thanks very much, TGM, that's very useful advice.

Just one thing I forgot to ask, between the washing machine and the kitchen sink is our gas cooker. Can we run the wastepipe behind the cooker, albeit, secured to the floor, without providing some sort of heat shield? I don't imagine that there is much heat given off from the cooker in this position but I am not certain?

pipe size should be 40mm.

drill hole using a hired diamond core drill.

run pipe out through wall before gas cooker, I have in the past run sections behind gas cookers but converted the pipe into 40mm copper for this short run. The 1m length of copper is expensive though.

If the pipe passes the cooker at near floor level I would have thought it should be ok

Sponsored Links
It will be fine for you to do so, it`s a pipe taking waste water out of your house, it`s not dangerous, won`t interfere with your cooker..Go for it Girl!! :D :D No need for any kind of heat protection... :D

By the time you have hired the diamond core bit you may find that it would be cheaped and more convenient to employ a plumber to do the job.

You should also ensure the hole through the wall is sloping just slightly downwards and that any horizontal waste pipes have a downward slope of 1 in 40. That is one cm down for 40 cm along!

Tony

Excellent advice guys, thanks very much. Now there is a problem.

My brother who works in building was supposed to be turning up later with the diamond core drill to make the hole. News is he got sh*tfaced watching Arsenal steal the cup yesterday and is in no condition to consider a 60 mile drive - he's in Brighton and we're in London.

So the question now is should we definitely abandon any idea of drilling through the wall of this Victorian property without the said dcd? Or could we attempt this with a few attempts with a basic (16mm) masonry bit? The drill is not SDS but has a hammer action. We have used a cable/pipe detector to establish that there appears to be nothing in the path of the proposed hole. Should we go for it or are we mad?

stich drill it

mark the hole out and drill holes round the line
knock the middle out with a hammer and chisel

BTW whats wrong with getting sh*tfaced watching the match :LOL:

The process of my bro' becoming sh*tfaced was done in the company of his pal and confidante: Kevin. Right, Kevplumb, are you by any chance in Brighton? If so, you have quite a lot to answer for! :evil: If not, thanks very much for the advice. We'll go for it. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back