Installing shaver socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all, Im looking at installing a shaver socket in the bathroom.
We currently have a fcu unit mounted near the ceiling which did have an electric heater wired into it before we fitted central heating and I was wondering if that would be ok to wire the shaver socket into? its part of the mains circuit.

As for fitting the shaver socket itself will it be ok to use a plastic back box rather than a metal one? (its a single skin wall which has been dry lined)
Will the cable be ok running down the gap behind the plasterboard (about 1m or so) or will it need to be clipped/in conduit? I know you shouldnt leave cable under its own weight but thought id ask as doing much else will be awkward.
also any particular shaving socket to aim for or to avoid or are they much the same?

Anything else I should consider while doing this?

If there is any further information taht will help just ask.

Sponsored Links
shaver socket needs to be on light circuit

there all the same

make sure that it is earth bonded to all other pipe work in bathroom

any help??

Thanks for that.

why does it have to be on the light circuit?
I would prefer it to be on the socket circuit as that is rcd protected but if it definatly needs to be on aa lighting circuit then it should be easy enough to change.

Also does a shaver need to be onm a triple pole isolator?

Not all the same...

Ones for a bathroom are bigger, heavier and more expensive (round about £20) than the others because they include an isolating transformer to cut the risk of shock.

The others are not allowed in a bathroom.

It hasn't GOT to be on the lighting circuit, though this is the most common way to do it (socket circuits do not usually go into a bathroom, as sockets are not allowed). I don't remember if bathroom shaver outlets need to be fused down if supplied from the ring.

You don't need a triple pole isolator (these are used for Timed Extractor Fans which have three wires - a Permanent Live; a Switched Live, and a Neutral)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help john.

The sockets ring goes over the bathroom (bungalow) so runninmg of the sockets is no extra hassle, I was intending to run of a switced fcu.

The shaver socket itslef was going to be a crbatree one from screwfix, it says its for use in the bathroom so hopefully that will be ok.

Thanks for your help all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back