Installing timer on immersion heater

Sponsored Links
It doesn't matter. He said he wanted a timer to save him turning it on and off manually.
He did, but if he has E7 (and I'm coming to suspect that maybe he doesn't), then he could have meant not just to 'save him having to switch it manually' but also so that it would always be switched at more appropriate times than his manual "as and when" switching. I'm sure he will clarify.

Kind Regards, John

I have looked at switching things on automatically be it water heating, central heating or even just a fan.

However it does not work as well as you think. Rooms, tanks of water take time to heat, and cool, so turn off heating leave for 24 hours and you find it has only cooled a few degrees, we have done so much to insulate it becomes pointless to turn off/on. Unless something like ecommony 7 is used.

Years ago my dads hot water was heated by the central heating boiler and there was no tank thermostat, the boiler would cycle unless a timer was used. The tank would cool down to near ambient in 24 hours, great for airing cloths, not so good with fuel costs. You could add all the jackets you wanted, it still cooled down, but today it has all changed, so be it a programmed TRV or a timed immersion heater, we need to think again, is it really worth it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back