Insulate under loft cold water tanks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am receiving conflicting views as to whether to insulate under the water tanks in the loft. In the old days one did not do this, but somebody (loft insulation installer) said that was not the way to do it nowadays. Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
tuk585 said:
I am receiving conflicting views as to whether to insulate under the water tanks in the loft. In the old days one did not do this, but somebody (loft insulation installer) said that was not the way to do it nowadays. Any ideas please?

i am assuming its to stop the maximum heat loss

i personaly cant see any real reason providing the tank is fully lagged and the lagging meets the insulation
the advantiges of reduced risk of water freezing far far outweigh the extra work involved

If the house is left empty in cold weather, with no heat input and no water flow, the tank - and a lot quicker, the pipes, will eventually freeze. Especially if the roof is unfelted. It only happened to me once.

It is usually recommended to leave the CH on in winter when the house is empty to prevent this.

Thanks to global warming, the winters have been less cold over the last 20 years or so (and I live in the sunny south now).

The cost and trouble of a burst is enormous. I agree with big-all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back