insulating an aluminium framed DG sliding door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an aluminium framed sliding glass door as fitted when the house was built 16 or so years ago. It's double glazed but it would appear that the frame is hollow aluminium. This time of year there can be heavy condensation on the frame to the point where small puddles form on the laminate floor. Has anyone ever tried to insulate the frame on an aluminum door, perhaps by injecting expanding foam or the like? The door's otherwise in good working order so replacing it is probably OTT at this time.

Sponsored Links
funny enough my first experiance with builders foam was this very idea

an aluminium d/g standard back door[2f6"x6f6"]

it does help to a fashion but you do still get heat transfer around the edges

i would have thought good heavy curtains would help keep the hot mousture laiden air off the frames

Not sure if the foam will reaches all area, unless a few holes or maybe a long flexible pipe from the spray can(?)

The next problem would be once the frame is warmer then the condenation will goes elsewhere, do a search the condensation problem on here, been mentioned before

I installed my conservatory with a 40mm square steel frame and I was aware that condensation would form on these surfaces. I did want to hide the steel anyway so I "clad" the steel with UPVC strip. Apart from the aesthetic appeal, this prevented, completely, any condensation from forming.
You might try fitting some light cladding, available from many conservatory, facia suppliers. Using some of the "high grab" adhesives , it is a straightforward job and, sometimes, can improve the look of the older aluminium frames. Of course, injecting foam into the frame cavity, could be the answer but care should be taken that the expansion and considerable pressure of the foam, does not interfere with the glass location or the weatherproofing seals.

Sponsored Links
I cant see how injecting any foam would help as the frame is still in one piece and thus any 'coldness' will travel through the metal to the inside face.

The only way to prevent the internal face being cold would be to incorporate a thermal break in the frame - ie a rubber or plastic strip to form a physical barrier to the external cold face

^woody^ said:
I cant see how injecting any foam would help as the frame is still in one piece and thus any 'coldness' will travel through the metal to the inside face.

probably make 20 or 30% difference as you alsohave convected heat through the air in the hollow mid section
cold surface cools the air cools the warmer inner surface

there is also the fact the sections are hollow so any wind can find a path if any holes or badly fitting joins

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back