Insulating external utility room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Have looked through lots of posts, but can't seem to find a consistent answer. We have just moved and have a lovely 1980s breeze block garage attached to the side of the 1850s solid brick house. The back part of the garage has been partitioned off with the idea of turning it into a utility room. It is er approx 4m x 2m across and has a max roof height of 2.5m. It is double layer of breeze block with insulation in between.
I would like to add some kitchen units, sink etc and make the finish slightly nicer looking than the breeze blocks. It seems freezing cold out there at the minute so I am thinking I should add some insulation and then plasterboard the walls.
Can I screw 50x100 timber battens to the wall, add 50mm celotex in between and then plasterboard screwed to the battens? Kitchen units will be ground level and no cupboards attached high up. The ceiling is bare rafters and I would like to add some insulation in between those as well. Thought I could use the same technique. Insulation between the rafters and then plasterboard screwed to the rafters.

Am I over complicating things, is there an easier solution?
Would I need to inform building regs that I am internally plastering some walls?

Thanks for any help.
cheers
simon

Sponsored Links
Use 300mm insulation at ceiling level i.e. 100mm between rafters and 200mm across in opposite direction.

Use 50mm insulation across the battens not between, for the walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back